cheap mobile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm after some advice, mainly becasue I live in the middle of no where and it's hard to get to look at phone etc

I'm after a cheap phone to buy that I can take my 3 sim from my broken HTC Hero on Three and shove it in, i've been on contract but i'm going to change it to pay as you go as i hardly use a mobile, we got no signal around where we live and I use my iPad for most things so I'm after a cheap mobile for the odd call and the odd text. Iv'e seen a few £10 ones in tesco and I really don't want to go over £20 on it so if anyone has any advice on what's a good cheap phone let me have it :D

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi Tony,
I bought a nokia 100 after my smartphone packed up on me. Does eveything you need and lasts 5-6 days per charge. A bargain at £15 I reckon!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have a word with the bloke in Cardigan market - go down the main steps and turn right - he seems to have his finger on the pulse of phones.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Not got time or a car at the moment John :D

Ahh, yeah, i'd not thought about it being compulsory 3g....umm, that ups the price of the phones a bit

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
Tony, 3 sims used to switch over to the o2 network when they couldn't get a 3g signal - ie you might be ok. pop into a store and ask. usually if you make it clear that you are there for information and not to buy you'll get to know what you want.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If switching networks is an option check out the tesco mobile. It is really O2 IIRC and Tesco are doing a few cheapo phones with free any network sims thrown in. Up here in Lakes Vodafone is the top dog for reception but I always heard that O2 was good in parts of Wales. If you can switch to O2 then take on the tesco mobile sim as you get £30 top up for the price of £10 top up actually paid. Plus you have the pretty good O2 network as well. Plus you get a load of tesco points for the phone, SIM and each top-up. My Dad got a cheap one as his second phone on Tesco and at one stage the deal you could get was so good it kind of worked out that if you bought the £10 phone, £10 topup and the free SIM it gave you something like £20 of tesco points so you got the phone, the first top up free with £20 of extra top up value too. Imagine for £20 you get that £20 back plus the same number of calls and texts as £30 of topup would give you. Not sure that deal is quite there now.

BTW I am seriously considering getting a cheap samsung phone on tesco for about £12.97 or £9.97 if you top up with £10 (getting £30 top up or the £20 free). It was a half decent clamshell phone too. A bit girly being clamshell but it would protect the keys and screen if I threw it about abit. There is a straight £9.97 samsung 1080 candy phone too on any network. Simple but works I think.

BTW I currently have a BB bold 9900 (IIRC) and a Samsung Galaxy SII. I think I need a basic one too. Sorry, almost forgot my ancient samsung candy fone I have too. Damn! Why do I need so many phones? I can justify all of them in my mind but I do come across as a drug dealer with that many!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you get a good O2 signal, Giff Gaff use their network, £10 a month PAYG gives you 250 minutes to any network unlimited Texts and internet.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aren't giffgaff particularly good for data too?? There is a catch with them somewhere but can't remember what someone told me about it.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Tony, 3 sims used to switch over to the o2 network when they couldn't get a 3g signal - ie you might be ok. pop into a store and ask. usually if you make it clear that you are there for information and not to buy you'll get to know what you want.

3 changed from o2 around 2009. They now use Orange which is why 3 has such a bad signal coverage now.

You do need a 3g handset too, but you can get a used Sony Ericsson K800i or W800i walkman on Fleebay for less than £20 now.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Samsung tocco lites go very cheap,I use one as my back up phone (the number I give customers so I don't work on my days off). Battery gives me over a week not used much though.
And has all the functions you'll need.think they're 3g

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
Only catch I can see with giffgaff, you need a cash balance as well as your Goody Bag balance if you want to call premium rate numbers or send premium rate texts (like enter the Gadget Show competition).

The £10 Goody Bag is better value than any other provider I know; 250 minutes, unlimited texts and true unlimited data.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE