Cheap Merino ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
None left of the ones i bought, i juggled the funds and rattled a few quid out the piggy bank with a knife and went to get more and they were sold out

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Got mine today. Wow, the heavyweight hooded Angora top in particular is the dogs. Can't believe they were shifting these at 19.99 absolute bargain. Not seen or had any On-one stuff before, very impressed.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
What are these items like for size? Do they run slightly under/over. The top I want is only available in large but I don't want a big, baggy baselayer. Dependent on brand I normally wear a medium (e.g Craghoppers Corey fleece)or large (Berghaus Spectrum fleece).

Thanks.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I normally take an xl, but bought an xxl, and its a nice fit. it feels very much like my icebreaker merino

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I ordered large in both, perfect fit. I'm a 44" chest, 14 stone at 5' 11"
The heavyweight hooded top fits me perfect in every way, and has room enough for a baselayer too.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
We got some proper bargains there, my 320gsm tops are putting all my old merino 200gsm base layers to shame, never had a shoddy item from On-one in over 3 years of being a customer, bought an ON-One Inbred MTB frame a few years back and had to deal with customer service and they were impecable on that side of the business too.

I just bought a cashmere beanie from them this morning and a pair of waterproof 3mm neoprene overshoes for twenty quid all in including delivery, check anywhere online 3mm neoprene waterproof overshoes will sting you 30 nikker minimum not to mention how much a cashmere beanie will set you back, i'm guessing they gotta clear the warehouse of the 2014 range of gear ready for next years lines, win win situation for us customers i say, just wish i'd bought all 8 of those 320gsm tops in XL when i had the chance

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a thin on-one baselayer, meant for cycling. It's fine for light use. Not super durable, it's developed a hole after a year of use (but hasn't frayed). Gets chucked in the washing machine with everything else, even stands up to tumble drying.

I wear it as a base layer for probably about 12-15hours of cycling a week and it's brill.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Great heads up, cheers !

Just ordered the very last heavyweight hooded jacket.

Would have been rude not to at that price point.

Pete

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I've bought On-one gear (tools, bike parts and technical cycling clothing) many times in the past and it is always of very high quality (my next cycle i buy will be an On-One Fatboy), the merino tops i bought today normally retail for £100 each and i have looked at them many times last winter as i wanted the 320gsm for my mid winter cycling but instead my budget only allowed me to go for the 200gsm at £40 each garment, if i'd had the spare dosh i'd have bought everyone one of those 320gsm tops they had left in my size, anyone out there who is also XL be thankful i wa skint enough to leave you some :lmao:.

On your recommendation I have just purchased 2 X 320gsm tops, thank you.

Thank you to the OP quietone for bringing it to our attention, :You_Rock_

rorymax

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
You're welcome it's always good to share the good consumer experiences, I'm sitting wearing one of the 320gsm tops right now and it is very comfortable, the only downside is i am currently wearing 200gsm merino base layer bottoms from Trekmates brand and in comparison feels like i'm wearing tissue paper pants, i'm sitting here like a big wooly bear :lmao: angora beanie on the bonce and merino neck to toes, i don't like to use central heating at all ever out of some sort of warped principle i developed a few years back about it making me soft against the cold and it's like setting good money on fire.

If On-One get more of the 320gsm tops in in my size and keep them at that price i'll grab a bag full and just put them away until i wear out the ones i currently use

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hi All,

On-One Heavyweight Angora Wool Micro Fleece Bonded Hooded Jacket

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOHWA...angora-wool-micro-fleece-bonded-hooded-jacket

Can anyone tell me just how heavy\bulky these jackets are, I'm hoping they are more like hooded tops in weight and bulk etc.

Is it the sort of thing that could readily be worn inside a sleeping bag just like a hooded top could be?

I see that there are still some for sale, size large.

Thanks,
rorymax

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
GGTBod

If you don't mind me asking.

Do the merino tops have much of a wear life and how do you wash them and care for them in general?

Same question goes for angora products too.

Just looking for any tips to improve the longevity.

Thanks,
rorymax

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
These 320gsm tops seem quite durable, i've had hit and miss results varying with brand, Tog24 200gsm tops lasted over a year so far but the pants that went with them were holed at thighs and buttocks within 3 months and useless after 6, trekmates 200gsm similar, my previous On-one 200gsm tops are still going strong bought in feb this year.

I used to wash all my woolens with nikwax wool wash on the wool cycle in my machine and dry them on hangers after reshaping but i was never fully pleased with the product and sometimes had to do a double wash to get them smelling normal again and once dry there was no scent on them at all, i recently bought the kookaburra wash from On-one and it is much better including for environment and leaves them smelling real nice even days after the wash and dry when i get them out my drawers, again this is used in the machine on the wool cycle, i wash all my woolens together including my angora and cashmere beanie hats and pure wool ex army sweaters, works out about once a week in one big woolwash

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hi All,

On-One Heavyweight Angora Wool Micro Fleece Bonded Hooded Jacket

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOHWA...angora-wool-micro-fleece-bonded-hooded-jacket

Can anyone tell me just how heavy\bulky these jackets are, I'm hoping they are more like hooded tops in weight and bulk etc.

Is it the sort of thing that could readily be worn inside a sleeping bag just like a hooded top could be?

I see that there are still some for sale, size large.

Thanks,
rorymax

I have one of these, very impressed with it. Very warm, either base or mid layer. Easily wearable in a bag too.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Regarding the garments that have holed after a period of use.. don't throw them away, make a Merino headover. :thumbup:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
The Angora stuff is going cheap because they stopped selling it so are clearing stock. They realised they were being harvested in a particularly un-animal-friendly way

One of the guys working there commented to that effect on a MTB forum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE