Cheap Merino ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I made a pillowcase from 2 pairs of holey pants and saved the lower legs for wristies that i haven't gotten around to stitching up yet

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
If i was to rate the brands i've owned/i still own of 100% merino base layers for durability and quality of said items it would be in this order and gsm

Smartwool 250gsm
On-one 320gsm
Icebreaker 260gsm
On-one 200gsm
Tog24 300gsm socks
On-one Thicky socks (don't know the gsm but they are not as thick as the tog24 but close so i'd guess at 250gsm)

then a big gap between that quality and those below

Tog24 200gsm tops
Tog24 200gsm pants
Trekmates 200gsm Trekmates got my thumbs down and bottom of the list due to how quickly they lost shape and became excessively baggy around areas like the knees, won't be buying any future merino of this brand thats for sure, Tog24 i'd buy their tops again but not the bottoms as the wear from regular cycling use had them fraying and laddering holes like ladies tights.

My usage and care regime is probably a good product test platform to judge them by as they all get used for the same activities alternating and when all have been worn they all get washed together in the same machine with the same product, activities are mountain biking, walking and bushcrafting, sleeping and wearing in general for everyday life.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
GGTBod, thanks for the info.

quietone, again, thanks for the info, heavyweight angora top arrived quicker than I thought, it is as you describe, a bit like a slightly thicker than average hoodie, and will be good for use in a sleeping bag.

I ordered the large size as it was the only size available, I would normally buy a hoodie in medium size, the angora top fits me like a medium, the large certainly ain't that large, but it fits me just fine.

Other thing I noticed on the label of the heavyweight angora jacket is this; inner and outer layers bonded together as described, the inner layer is 100% polyester, the outer layer is 50\50 polyester\angora, so overall I guess 25% of this jacket is angora. I don't think the outer of this jacket will stand more than light wear usage, that's OK for me as I intend to use as a camp bodywarmer only.

I suppose that technically it is a jacket but it would be perhaps better described as a hoodie with a full length zip (if that makes sense).

Not mentioned in the advert info are the side pocket zips, those micro ones, I happen to like them as they make the pockets hardly noticeable, a bonus is that on the inside of the jacket there are two very generous pockets stitched behind the front pockets, they would devour a lot of kit, very handy indeed.

I only ordered the jacket yesterday morning and it arrived today, quick eh?

The postage for the jacket was going to be £2.50, over £20 and delivery is free, so I splashed out and ordered 2 angora beanies, 1 free by my reasoning.

The beanies are OK but I would have preferred them a little longer in length, there is not enough fabric if you wanted to roll up the edge to make a fisherman style beanie, overall for £2,50 each I am happy.

Slight downer is the info in the post by benp1, I wish it were untrue; 'unethically sourced and harvested angora', I would not have bought the items had I known in advance, I have visions of hearing screaming little bunnies every time I wear them.:eek:

rorymax

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
I just received the 320 top. Build quality seems good and nicely designed but originally £90?? I dont know if its me being tight or just not understanding the cost of things but I would be crying if I paid that much for it!! Its not like a blanket or anything. ...must be tight :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I just received the 320 top. Build quality seems good and nicely designed but originally £90?? I dont know if its me being tight or just not understanding the cost of things but I would be crying if I paid that much for it!! Its not like a blanket or anything. ...must be tight :)

I have to say that I do agree, it was listed at £100.00 (less a penny), who is kidding who?

Thirty pounds does not seem like a bargain for this top, but I regard it as a fair price.

rorymax

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Same here i could never bring myself to pay 100 quid for a merino top, 30 was a good deal, the most i have paid ever for a merino garmet is 40 quid but you regularly see them listed by the big brands in the game for well over a 100

check this Icebreaker and the apparent original pre discount cost

or this one

personally if i paid 100 quid+ for a top of any kind i'd be expecting genuine gold woven into the fabric

how about a fifty quid t-shirt or this 90 odd quid long sleeve madness in my book like but 30 quid i can handle

I reckon thats what the OP meant by cheap merino, cheap in comparison to what some companies try and charge

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
My On-One Heavyweight Angora Wool Micro Fleece Bonded Hooded Jacket landed today.

I got the last one ( apparently ) in a medium size. Think its a wee bit small cut for a medium BUT it does fit, snugly.

Impressed over all with the quality of it. Should do the job I want it to.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE