cheap gear from the States

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You mean other than that they have lower import duty rates, sales tax is between 50% and 0% what we pay, the Dollar is worth 50% what the Pound is and that US customers demand better deals than we do in the UK?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've been wondering this myself. Some of the prices you guys have to pay totally freak me out sometimes. I have gotten a deal or two from across the pond but in general, prices seem awfully high for a lot of things. :confused:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Just clicked on that link. That's the person I bought my Zebra pots from. I had been trying for a long time to get those from over there but all the dealers where quoting huge shipping costs, not to mention the pots themselves seemed a bit on the high price side.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Know what you mean!

I was looking around trying to find a supplier of Wetterlings axes when one popped up on the Bay but with a seller across the pond.

Never bought anything from the states before but this was cheaper, including shipping, than the one place I could find in the uk that did stock them before their shipping charge! It's crazy when you think it's now been across the Atlantic twice :rolleyes:

Oh, it arrived this morning too but I wont get a chance to play until tomorrow :cool:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is also the fact that wages are a lot lower. Not so much standard of living - if anything its a bit higher, but property prices etc., food prices are lower.

Red

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Know what you mean!

I was looking around trying to find a supplier of Wetterlings axes when one popped up on the Bay but with a seller across the pond.

Never bought anything from the states before but this was cheaper, including shipping, than the one place I could find in the uk that did stock them before their shipping charge! It's crazy when you think it's now been across the Atlantic twice :rolleyes:

Oh, it arrived this morning too but I wont get a chance to play until tomorrow :cool:
There's a store here in Holland which sells those axes. That might even be cheaper than shipping from the USA ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Examples

Optimus Nova UK around £100 give or take a little US price £50

Primus Omnifuel, UK around £100, US £55 for standard or about £130 for a model made of Titanium ( http://moontrail.com/stoves/primus_omnifuel.html )

Golite Hex 3 and nest insert, half UK price, the list goes on. Having a good friend in the States has meant I now own equipment I just could not afford to buy in the UK

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I've seen wetterlings on .de (germany) online store for ~€40, which is ~£26.

I think partly the reason is fuel is cheaper in the US, so transportation and manufacturing is cheaper.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I've seen wetterlings on .de (germany) online store for ~€40, which is ~£26.

I think partly the reason is fuel is cheaper in the US, so transportation and manufacturing is cheaper.

Nah, things made over here are cheaper over there also. Costs a lot of pennies to ship cars over there and they still work out cheaper.

If anyone needs a hand with German give me a shout.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I buy quite a few bike bits from the US and the if it costs a hundred dollars over there it usually costs a hundred quid over here.
Just replace the $ for a £ and keep the numbers the same:rolleyes:
Now, considering the fact that the dollars so weak at the moment (what are they doing with their economy?) and only worth about 50p I find that a bit to much of a difference to ignore.

Even whan I pay postage and sometimes import duties I still come out on top.
Oh and their service is often quicker as well.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Thats because everything is made in China. :D

The economic truth is that the USA owes China more than it is worth. A bit like the average credit card.........the Missus works for Barclaycard and they have stats that show that the average household over here is £40,000.00 in debt NOT including mortgage.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Ain't that the American way, buy now pay later. :rolleyes: Never could understand that. I use credit cards too, but not like some do, they act like theres no limits and pay dearly for it in interest. As they say "I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go". (singing like the dwarfs in sleeping beauty) :lmao:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Anyone else see the TV the other night about the Chinese slave labour market? Truly shocking, children and adults being basically 'press ganged' into working at labour camps, little food and definitely no money, regular beatings thrown in for good measure.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I buy quite a few bike bits from the US and the if it costs a hundred dollars over there it usually costs a hundred quid over here.
Just replace the $ for a £ and keep the numbers the same:rolleyes:
Now, considering the fact that the dollars so weak at the moment (what are they doing with their economy?) and only worth about 50p I find that a bit to much of a difference to ignore.

Even whan I pay postage and sometimes import duties I still come out on top.
Oh and their service is often quicker as well.

Ditto.. i recently orderedf two MSR Miniworks and two titanium Sporks from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BaseCamp-Outlet

And not only did they arrive within 3 days, the total, including postage, was less than UK retailers want for ONE MSR Miniworks... :cussing:Bit of a no brainer really..

I buy most things from abroad now in the net as it is far cheaper. I'm sick of being ripped off here. The car and bike industry finally had to drop their prices to fall in line with our neighbours due to ever increasing grey or parallel imports at realistic prices, so it's about time everyone else did. maybe if more people vote with their international cards, they will be forced to wake up and smell the commercial coffee.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Not quite bushcrafty but, I go to Home Depot when I am over there and buy tools. Top of the range Dewalt kit is less than half the price it is over here and has been for years - there is no problem with recharging as I have a 220 / 110 volt transformer and most of the batteries in the tools fit into my original UK chargers.

I have a friend who is a carpenter, he makes a fortune designing and building exhibition stands for large trade shows. He does one or two builds in the USA each year and when he goes he takes his empty tool boxes over and comes back with them full of his latest Home Depot dewalt acquisitions.

If you plan it out you can actually make your trip pay for itself. I save £45 everytime I buy a leatherman over there and possibly more on a knife. I bought three pairs of Timberland moccasin shoes for less than what it would have cost for one pair over here. Jeans and most other clothes are all half the price and digitasl cameras are about 2/3's the price.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I do most of my shopping abroad these days...

and most of my money is invested in China.

...not to mention my anime is made in China too....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE