Cheap gas cans; using adaptors for self sealing cans?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Does anyone use the cheap adaptors off Ebay for using the cheap gas butane cans that you can get for around a pound in the aerosol cans?

Like these

They seem like a good idea to save some cash and weight at the same time, as the cans appear to be lighter than the threaded proper jobs. (to be used in a remote feed multifuel/gas stove)

Does anyone know if they work with the lighter gas refill cans too?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks for the heads up teepee I've been looking for an adaptor for the gas canisters you put in those portable stoves I've ordered one just now i will let you know what its like when i get it iv got about 5 canisters as i don't use the stove anymore to bulky regards dave

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Or you could refill the normal cans from a big calor gas bottle. I am surprized noone on here does it, not seen any talk about it. Why use a can once and bin it, if its not rusty it can be refilled.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
thanks for the heads up teepee I've been looking for an adaptor for the gas canisters you put in those portable stoves I've ordered one just now i will let you know what its like when i get it iv got about 5 canisters as i don't use the stove anymore to bulky regards dave

I've got one on the way too mate :)

Or you could refill the normal cans from a big calor gas bottle. I am surprized noone on here does it, not seen any talk about it. Why use a can once and bin it, if its not rusty it can be refilled.

You can get the adaptors for them too.

Those cans are heavier though, the metal is thicker because of the shape. Its a good point though Phil, and a good option.

I have lots of cheap gas cans to use anyway, they'll get used first.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Some people love 'em whilst others avoid them like the plague. I have one but haven't had the need to use it yet, but I understand there have been leakage issues around the connectors so do be careful if you're using these things.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Some people love 'em whilst others avoid them like the plague. I have one but haven't had the need to use it yet, but I understand there have been leakage issues around the connectors so do be careful if you're using these things.

Yes mate, I've seen some warnings about them.

I'm using it in a remote feed stove though, so no chance of flare ups at the burner end.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Yep i use them mine came with my gelert pocket stove with a stand for the burner which makes it a lot sturdier than sat on a gas bottle and one for the canister great bit of kit but you do get a little leakage fitting/removing the adapter

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Leaking gas cans lol sounds like fun. picures please. A mate of mine managed to knock over a coleman sportster using petral in it in a tent, turned into a fireball. Grabed it quick and tossed it out the door. Mealted the plastic legs, cant remember if he ever used it again. I was not in his tent, bad idea cooking inside lol

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Remember the cheap cans of gas are Butane so really really crap in cool weather.

I've had two connectors fail on me and won't risk using them again. On one the leak was obvious with gas squirting everywhere. The second one leaked slowly overnight after I set it up to run a lantern, no sound no smell so I felt safe but eight hours later the can was empty and the back room full of Butane !!!!!

USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH THESE ADAPTORS

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the advice guys and experiences, it's noted.

Not a good idea to brew up in the back of the van by the sounds of it!`

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Heres some pics i know it sounds bad but it is only a tiny hiss as you fit and remove the canister

5c2879de-85ef-fd67.jpg
5c2879de-8606-9bf2.jpg
5c2879de-8614-0d0d.jpg
5c2879de-8622-00ec.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Looks ok. fine if you get a bit gas come out fitting the hose on, normal with lots of gas bottles. leaks when done up is the problem lol. keep a eye on it and play safe.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
On a similar note, without starting a new thread..

Do these gas refills meant for blowtorches fit most stoves? Directly screwed onto canister type ! (stability issue aside)
768para.jpg

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've used plenty of these with laterns where the gas can is just hanging under the light. Can be a cheap option. As Tartanferret points out they are not stable with cylinder top stove. I've had no problems with thread compatibility.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The black Ebay adaptor turned up today from China.

I've hooked my Omnifuel up to a few of the gas range (A4) cans and found no leaks. The quality of the thing isn't great, the end of the thread hasn't been finished well and the plastic clips look like they won't take much abuse.

It also won't fit the gas lighter refill cans for some reason, although its not obvious why to me-the dimensions look identical. I trimmed the valve on one to make it the same size as the A4 cans but had no joy with it.

@Tartanferret- No need for an adaptor dude, the parasene cans are the same thread as on the proprietary cans and fit perfectly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE