Cheap Gardening Gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I always take a cheap pair of Gardening Gloves with me when I go out into the woods. (50p) from pound stretcher !! and very lightweight to carry
Don't ruin your nice Goretex expensive ones
Useful for holding hot pots :ie tipping water from one container to another without burning yourself. You can warm soup or food straight on your fire in the can it came in, and then use the glove to hold the hot can while you eat. I also find if I hold my knife with a gloved hand when using a firesteel I don't scrape my knuckles on the deck. Stripping nettles for cordage. ( I know, I know be bold...... but hey if you've got them there why not use them) I find they make some tasks more comfortable, and if you're out for a few days, the old hands do take a bit of a battering.

I'm half expecting a lot of abuse about this.... and comments such as do you also recommend using moisturiser ? The gloves work for me !!
LOVE YOUR GLOVES !! :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
falling rain said:
I also find if I hold my knife with a gloved hand when using a firesteel I don't scrape my knuckles on the deck.
I'm half expecting a lot of abuse about this.... and comments such as do you also recommend using moisturiser ? The gloves work for me !!
LOVE YOUR GLOVES !! :wink:

If you pull the firesteel while bearing down with your knife you will not bash you knuckles :-D Rather than moving the knife to create the sparks. So, hold the knife firm and pull the steel :-D

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Decent gloves and boots are essential pieces of kit. Recently got a bit of practice in by making a debris shelter, in amongst the leaves and stuff were bits of glass, old tins and an old scooter. My hands would have been ripped to shreds and the cuts would have been filthy, doesn't bear thinking about. I'm with you....

Justin

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hello Tone.

I have heard that the way to use a firesteel is as you described, and I half expected someone to write pull the steel back rather than pushing the knife down. I find pushing the knife down easier, and can concentrate the sparks better and I get more of them. New topic ?...... Pull Steel ? or Scrape knife down ?. It'd be interesting to find out what others find easiest .

Best wishes

Nick

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Hold a small piece of your tinder on the side of your blade then pull the firesteel across the back edge (flint and steel style).Doing it this way puts all your sparks where you want them. But be careful not cut your hand. Another good reason for the gloves.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I'm with you on the gloves. I had (lost one a fortnight ago) a pair of army surlus (German I think) grey leather gloves. They got used for everything from mountain biking to hedge laying. Indispensible. I want another pair just the same, as soon as I pluck up the courage to go into (I shudder at the word) TOWN. Yuk.
I got them from a stall at Camden lock london. Warm wet or dry, kinda moleskin lined with a draw cord and brass popper at the wrist.
Atleast I've got the flint knapping one left.
Rich :cry:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
those grey army surpless gloves are exellent and good value at less than a tenner! found them essential for sweet chestnut gathering and very warm to boot. :lol: I also keep a couple of pairs in my range rover.they are good for keeping hands clean when changing wheels and essential if operating winches and associated recovery equipment.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I miss those gloves. Its getting frosty and the heating in my van is crap. And they are the only pair of gloves I could drive in. I just can't bring myself to venture into london. Arhhhh Christmas shopping is looming large! excuse me while i go gibber in the corner.....
Good plan Bob - Buy 2 piars this time
Rich

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
These can be bought in lots of pound shops, tool shops and gardening shops, not sure on their use as the have lots of holes and would be easily pierced, grippy though.

M

mbrodw

If any one wants the gloves that Rick talks about and can't find them-try Arco they are an industrial, Health and Safety company who are starting to open into the non-industrial market and sell gear to normal punters! They do the very gloves in a thermal and non-thermal version-they are super, they all sell alsorts of stuff which is really handy. Personally I like the small bottles of gojo-it's a gell which disinfects your hands and makes em smell nice-so if your eating/cooking or after you been to the call of nature you can stay clean and sweet smelling and very hygienic!

M

max

We were advised to take a pair of gardening gloves for shelter building, fire pot handling, etc, on the survival course at UKSS, in fact it was on their kit list and they were fantastic, it saved scuffing up my North Face mountain gloves.

Maxmountains

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE