Cheap Country in Europe to Mull about in ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just looking for suggestions for anywhere in Europe that would be cheap ( frugal with money ) and easy enough ( no significant language barriers and Open to Foreigners ) to mull around in for a bit , From what I've heard I'm currently thinking of Slovakia and Slovenia but would welcome any other suggestions.

I'd love to do the baltic states as well but have no idea what living costs are like there.

Ideas , suggestions etc appreciated.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Bosnia, Mostar in particular.

Really, really friendly to visitors, amazing scenery, food is very cheap as is the local wine.

Transport on coaches is cheap and the quality of the coaches is high.

If you buy a coffee they are offended if you don't linger about for a while.

Only thing is that it is important to stick to marked (as safe) footpaths. There are landmines left over from the war.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'm currently thinking of Slovakia..."

No offence intended to any Slovakian members but in my experience the Slovakians are a miserable bunch, more so than the Hungarians if that could be possible, not particularly friendly to foreigners of any nationality.

I'd second the recommendation for Bosnia and add Croatia, very generous and friendly folks, cheap as chips as long as you keep away from the touristy parts.

Transylvania (Romania) is very cheap and the Hungarians there tend to be a bit more jovial, their tourist industry is a bit rusty though and few folks will speak English, but that can be part of the fun.

In my experience you could also travel in the more out of the way parts of France, Spain and Portugal for next to nothing and have a very enjoyable time.

Don't forget the Czech Republic, beautiful countryside and a fairly easy place to get around.

I hope this helps.

:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It does - Thank You.

No worries.

My wife has traveled in Slovenia on a budget and recommends it, that was a while ago though and things may be more expensive these days.

When you say 'mull about' what sort of things are you thinking about? Sitting in a wood for a week or two or wandering around a region?

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Second for rural Spain, away from the tourist trap, my filks lived in a tiny village up until 2 years ago, cheap as chips with a good spattering of British ex pats to boot.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Free food, pay, chance to travel TD

http://en.legion-etrangere.com/ ;)

Many many years ago I stood outside those gates and gave it some serious thought...

france_la_legion.jpg

:)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
When you say 'mull about' what sort of things are you thinking about? Sitting in a wood for a week or two or wandering around a region?

So the helpx site i listed previously is quite useful https://www.helpx.net/ , sometimes however waiting for another vacancy or placement to become open means some stand down time , i'd rather be a place where I can live in reasonable comfort ( accom being the most pricey ) and enjoy some local points of interest waiting for the next position to become open.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
So the helpx site i listed previously is quite useful https://www.helpx.net/ , sometimes however waiting for another vacancy or placement to become open means some stand down time , i'd rather be a place where I can live in reasonable comfort ( accom being the most pricey ) and enjoy some local points of interest waiting for the next position to become open.

I understand, have you looked at looking after a youth hostel someplace, in my distant youth there were hostels around Europe, official and unofficial that would give you room and board and ask you to clean up after backpackers had left, some of those were in some quite nice bits of Europe.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I understand, have you looked at looking after a youth hostel someplace, in my distant youth there were hostels around Europe, official and unofficial that would give you room and board and ask you to clean up after backpackers had left, some of those were in some quite nice bits of Europe.

Good thinking - I'll look into it. Its that sort of thing I want , take time out of the rat race but not at significant financial cost.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Bulgaria is a nice place - worked there a few times. Plenty of woodland! Food was remarkably good - nothing fancy unless you go to the top restaurants, but excellent value.

I asked a local "entrepreneur" how much it would cost to by say 10 hectares or so of woodland on the banks of the Danube. His comment creased me up - "very little, but why would you want to? Nothing there but forest and wild animals........."

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up TeeDee,

Re eastern Europe - just be aware of the current political/immigration situation - I've just returned from a week in Hungary and Austria - fine now, though we did have to check each day that the train to Vienna we were due to leave on was still running (it was but none were to Croatia!). Feelings are running a bit high and when you speak to the locals on the continent (whom I found no problems at all with if you try to communicate in their language first!) they blame the Brits and Spams for de-stabilising the Middle East and Herr Merkel for the huge refugee unflux! By the way Sandbender -Sia! if you think the Magyars are a miserable bunch (I didn't) don't go to Wien! :lmao: (spoken by a (southern) Austrian!)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
TeeDee Bosnia has the advantage of English being second language. Banja Lika once boasted seven ladies to one male, that was ten years ago though. It does get cold though, although it is a beaut to visit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE