Cheap Chinese Pals / Cylume light

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Whilst ordering a new angle torch form Deal Extreme i stumbled across a multi function light stick for $3. I have krill lights, uco candles and other bits of luminosity to mark my pitch but thought at that price id throw one in the cart. here is the light in operation

[video=youtube_share;bFT6f5HbYEY]http://youtu.be/bFT6f5HbYEY[/video]

I put the light on solid red at 1pm yesterday and its still going strong on the original batteries.

weight is 30g but will be a little bit less if you chuck the carp whistle included. I also put some tin foil in the bottom to reflect the light back on itself. not waterproof but would be ok on a ridgeline under a tarp and the lanyard will allow easy hanging. ive had it apart to see how easy it is to change the batteries. bit of a faff but not too much trouble.

light here

http://dx.com/p/multifunction-red-l...flashlight-lifesaving-whistle-3-x-lr44-118908

cheap batteries here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-AG13...le ctronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item27bb66e8c2

no connection etc etc

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
If you like these then worth looking at these, I was a krill fan, not no more. www.lazerbrite.com (I have no connection with this American company.) I placed an order was with me in a week and a half. The lz spike is good for marking a basha and the map case is a good bit of kit. Admittedly expensive but IMHO their worth it

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
If you like these then worth looking at these, I was a krill fan, not no more. www.lazerbrite.com (I have no connection with this American company.) I placed an order was with me in a week and a half. The lz spike is good for marking a basha and the map case is a good bit of kit. Admittedly expensive but IMHO their worth it

Bad man. Very bad man :) These look the mutts nuts.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Are any of these waterproof? I used something similar to mark my tent in a forest in the lakes. One downpour later, when I returned to my tent the light was full of water (still working) !

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got a few of these from 99p shop. Worked well. Although my little girl pulled one apart at the 'Moot and lost bits...

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Are any of these waterproof? I used something similar to mark my tent in a forest in the lakes. One downpour later, when I returned to my tent the light was full of water (still working) !

Not waterprrof chap. The funny thing is they have an o-ring where the tube screws in but there is a hole in the side where you pull the battery protector strip out for forst use :D

I just found them in tesco at £2. Great on a ridgeline under a tarp though.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks

I have one of these and they are awesome. Batteries last forever and pretty bright, mine is blue one side, red the other.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
You're a bad bunch. Came into this thread thinking I might spend $3 on a cheapo lightstick or two. Ended up buying two lazerbrite units. Then I (finally) got around to upgrading my membership to help me feel less guilty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE