cheap chainsaw....que disgruntled tree surgeons...

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Just picked up a chain saw from Netto, as i don't have that store down where i live.

Now before the chain gang get writing, yes it is not going to last a year of 12 hour days working like a mule, but in context it is to replace a 40+ year old saw my Father keeps using for the 1 or 2 times a year he has the need.

so £49.99 for a c.50cc is good value in my book plus it actually has chain gaurds....and trust me that is a big improvment over the 'old' model ;)

Mojo

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Ha Ha....I'm trying everything to get rid of that old deathtrap of a saw....

Like i said it only needs to run for a few hours and it's working life will be run....so why pay more?
It has been brought for light use.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
if you only need it for a few hours work do you need a chainsaw at all? trust me if you spend under the £150 mark it will be utter rubbish.

you are better off with a decent bow saw imo.

pete

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I'm 30 got enough sharps, saw's, hatchets and energy to take down a forest....read the post, it is for a guy old enough to be my Dad....hence the 'need for it'

again read the post IT IS CHEAP, I'm not asking it to last.
In this case yes, the saw will be of substandard quality for a tree surgeon or a full time user...again it is not for that.

if you don't want it don't buy it, save your money for a bespoke knife (just like everybody else's) for £250 that does no more than a £10 mora...do you need the extra money to be spent, NO (as long as the mora is fit for purpose) but that's your choice.

When i have a nice house in the country and need a saw for prepping fire wood...I'lll get a nice STIHL-A-Like cause it will need to last....but thats not for another 15 years...so again...oh i'm in repetition mode.

This thread is saying ...'Hey if you need a cheap saw, there is one here' Not 'Hey i've found a saw for £50 to last you a life time'

Mojo

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Quite right Mojo, buy the tool that fits the user, the job and the pocket. 50 notes sounds like a bargin. Hope it lasts you a lot longer than the nae-sayers think. :D

EdS

my cheap Chinese import 50cc saw has had more trouble free hours of service than the Husqvarna it replaced. After doin some digging it seamsost of the parts in these cheap saws come from the same factories in China as do the home use Huskys etc. Certanly all the parts in mine are interchangable with Husky ones

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a large Husky 350 and a cheap electric Mac for sectioning small stuff on the saw horse.

That el cheapo Mac has done hard work for more than a decade. Sure its no big felling saw, but its earned its purchase price repeatedly

Red

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
To be honest I spent over 10 years behind the saw. And all saws now have to pass strict safety regulations to be able to be sold. Will it last as long as a Stihl or a Husky ....Maybe. But if you're an occasional user it's worth a punt. Keep the teeth sharp, give it good oil and fuel and give it a good clean before you put it away and it should be fine. I had an old McCulloch from argos for years and it was still going strong when I got rid.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Argos sell everlasting chainsaws. Keep the box and reciept, if it breaks or wont start they replace it with no quibbles.
Its branded Spear and Jacksons but only costs about £100 and is made in China

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well said mora clippa are awesome why spend more than £30 at most on a blade when you have the mora or a home made jobbey......

£50 chain saw awesome, i want 1 just to say ive got 1..........lol.....

chris.......

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The big advantage of Stihl and Husqvarna is that you can buy and replace almost all of the parts yourself and there are plenty of stockists and service centres. For me that is one of the biggest selling points.

If you get fifty quids worth of use out of the Netto store then it was money well spent. I looked at the Aldi petrol chainsaw and I thought it looked cheaply made but still it wasn't bad for the price and had all of the safety features on it that are required by law. Only problem was they didn't sell any of the PPE to go with it. It's worth wearing the correct gear when you use a chainsaw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE