Cheap 600G Carbon/Hickory Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The axe will need a little work on the edge but I have one and initial testing suggests it is a good little axe for the money. If you're just learning or want a "beater" that you won't be too bothered about if you chip the edge, then go for it.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Actually it's a very good little axe for a lot more than is being charged! goodjob

I bought a 'couple' to put into my teaching collection and my hardness files suggest an RC of around 58-59, which is a tad harder than my GB axes. I sliced a bit off one to try breaking it (I put it under my large flypress with a 1" rod across it), it bent to about 30 degrees before snapping under several tonnes of pressure: the grain structure was very fine :) The handles are well fitted (clear epoxy, wooden and round metal wedges) and straight bits of hickory. The blades are a little thicker than a GB wildlife hatchet, but thinner than a Wetterling.

The only down sides to them are the varnished handle (easily scraped off), slightly ropey edge (that is better than most factory made hatchets to be honest) that is easily dealt with and the naff black paint on the head.

I reground one to the same cross section as a double bevelled GB carving axe (so quite fine) and then chopped a 2" thick bit of seasoned hawthorn into little pieces. Basically I whittled it into 1"-2" long chunks for the full 4 feet of the branch. It didn't roll, chip or dull through that little lot, even the Granny B axes normally don't like that punishment!

All in all, I would say if you have a free couple of hours to play at tarting it up, this is an exceptional axe, irrespective of the price! :wow1:

surprised these havnet sold out yet theres a few post on here about them

heres mine after 1/2 hr rub down ;)

the Bit is twisted a little on mine but hey its good and going to be a carving axe

Argos1.jpg

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
WARNING it is very very blunt.

I spent hours getting the bevels to meet up and it now needs thinning out as it is a very fat angle. It would have been easier if I had an angle grinder though.

Handle is very nice once sanded and oiled.

P

Pcwizme

Online have sold out, as have all stores within my area of essex / london :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE