Charcoal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi There,

I have been looking online and at you tube about making charcoal, is this more or less the same idea as how charcloth is made?.

Anyone any idea how long it takes to make a full 210 oil drum of charcoal?

Is there anyone here that has any experience of doing this

Thanks in advance

John

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi There,

I have been looking online and at you tube about making charcoal, is this more or less the same idea as how charcloth is made?.

Thanks in advance

John

Hi John,

I have never tried it but it should be a similar process to charcloth making. Here´s a thread by someone who could tell you more:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40761

Cheers,

Tom

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Hi I've just been making charcoal today in a oil drum.

How long does it take make charcoal in a oil drum? That's a bit like how long is a piece of string.

I got a oil drum and punched 5 one inch holes in the bottom and cut off the lid. I've had a special lid made. You can use a sheet of metal and just prop it open a bit.
I've also put the drum on a thick bed of sand for sealing it later and have some bricks underneath so the air can go up the five holes.
Fill the drum half way then fill with kindling and newspaper then set alight and place the rest of the logs on top until level with the top of the oil drum. Then let it catch alight.
Place the lid on top and leave enough room for smoke and steam to come out, every hour or so bang the sides so the wood drops.
It all depends how dry your wood is to how long it will char.
The smoke changes from a white colour to a blueish colour when it is nearly done. You can poke the wood with a stick to see if it see done, if it feels light then it is ready.
Now you have to shut it down by excluding the air.
Take out the bricks from the bottom of the drum so it is sitting tightly on the sand, then seal the the top and put on the bricks to weigh it down. You will get some smoke leaking out put after a while the black tar will seal any gaps.
It should take 3 hours or more to cool down.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Was thinking about this the other day, cheers for jogging my memory, and out of interest, how would this be done in the field without an oildrum? Covered in earth I presume?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've come across a few methods of producing charcoal in oil drums, or even dustbins. I've not tried it myself, but then my charcoal habit is a bit larger than most peoples (about a tonne a year).

Traditional clap kilns were neatly stacked wood covered with earth and often turf. They require a great deal of effort and constant supervision to burn successfully. If a little air gets in then the whole charge is ruined! Some parts of the world set a big fire in a pit and then bury it, but it's not as efficient and is still a lot of work :(

personally let somebody else make it for me, then get them to run courses to show off their skill ;)

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Dave is right if any air gets in then all you are left with is ash. We are on clay with little top soil so I use sand.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
I have 210 and 60 litre drums at work, i was thinking ofdoing it like the charcloth, light a fire in the 210 litre one and put the wood in the 60 litre one, like the little charcloth tin, a little hole in the top and het it from below.

Anyone have any thoughts on if they think this will work?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well it might work, but what would bthe point be - you would be burning a lot of wood to make it, that you could be turning into charcoal...?
I have done the oil drum method and th easiest way i found was very similar to as described above.
But i get a decent size fire going (for a couple of hours, untill you have a good bed (8" or so) built up, then add the charing wood - trying to keep the sizes similar will make it more efficient. top right up to the brim and let it get flamey. then manhandle the top on leaving a small gap. Start to close up the air gaps at the base - i had to use soil which lets some air in. This should get smokey, follow instructions above and close up. Leave overnight - if its still going and you open it then you will risk a very rapid re egnition!!

I believe its around 1/3 volume you can get in a good burn but oil drums are not particulalry reliable u might get more or less. I suppose having less and not having any brown ends is my preference.
1/3 barel of charcoal is still a lot of bbq's!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Thanks guys, guess it just a case of suck it and see, i will experiment with a burn in the 60ltr oil drum first so i don't waste to much. And i'll try it as the above method, i do see what you mean about wasting to much wood, good shout!!!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Someone did a thread on here a while back about making charcoal in a sweet tin (the big ones your granny buys at christmas)

That was something like
Punch holes in the lid
Pack tight with small even sized bits of wood
Replace lid
Heat on bbq untill the wood gas catches
Allow to burn
Smother by turning tin upside-down
Open when cold

If you search for it I think theres pictures

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I have 210 and 60 litre drums at work, i was thinking ofdoing it like the charcloth, light a fire in the 210 litre one and put the wood in the 60 litre one, like the little charcloth tin, a little hole in the top and het it from below.

Anyone have any thoughts on if they think this will work?

try googling 'retort kilns' ;)

That would be me then. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38687

A word of warning. If you are tempted to lift the lid of a oil drum while it's charing. Be careful it might just burst into flames and take off your eyebrows, eye lashes and beard as I found out yesterday.

I've got a 7 foot kiln that has a lid made from 4mm (maybe 5mm actually) thick sheet steel, in a cone. A previous user of the kiln was impatient and when teh burn was done but not completely cool he decided to take a peak. He lifted the lid a lttle and saw good charcoal, put the lid down (having got a lot of hot air in the face I should think) and turned away. The air that had got in set the volatile gases off, first causing the lid to be sucked in and then to be thrown striaght up in the air! The result was a VERY big dent in a thick bit of steel and the rim of the lid buried two feet in the ground some way off!:eek:

normally if you get air into a small drum tehn the lid will pop a bit and you end up with a bin full of ash :eek: not really worth the risk for the sake of leaving it til the drum is cool :cool:

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
Hi There,

Thanks in advance

John

I may be wrong but I beleave I saw a very good video on making charcoal. It was part of the ray mears sweden. I would check that out. there was very little waist and the coal looked great.

Here´s a thread by someone who could tell you more:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40761

I've only just seen this thread, but here's what we did on the course:

As an aside, the course was held in Charnwood Forest which got it's name as it was historically a major producing area for 'Charred Wood' (ie. charcoal).

We used a 45 gallon (210 litre) oil drum which had had the top 1/3 cut off, and had a circular hole cut from the base leaving a lip around 3 inches wide.

We dug a shallow trench (approx. 1 1/2 inch deep) and 1 spade width by approx 2 foot long (so it was around 8 inches wider than the diameter of the drum). Ideally, the trench should be dug in line with the direction the wind is blowing. The drum was then inverted and placed over the trench, with the sides of the drum pushed into the ground to form a seal (with the trench going across the diameter & 4 inches exposed at each side).

Through the hole in the base (now the top) we loaded the wood to be charred, which was coppiced hazel, around 1 1/2 inch in diameter, cut into lengths varying between 6 inches - 1 foot. The first pieces were some of the longer ones which were placed across the trench inside, forming a bridge. The rest of the pieces were then stacked in as tightly as possible until it was around 2/3 full, at which point we continued to stack around the sides leaving a hole in the middle.

We then lit a fire in the middle using old 'bents' (part charred logs from previous burns) and other tinder & kindling. Once the fire was established we stacked more hazel filling the hole and even slightly above the top lip of the drum.

The 'lid' (the full base cut from a separate 45 gallon oil drum - without the rim) was then placed on top and a single log placed on one side (opposite to the side the wind was coming from). The intention being that as the fire burned the logs down, the lid would rest on the top of the drum, except the side held up by the log - thus forming a chimney effect with the trench at the bottom funneling air through the fire.

We then watched the smoke coming from the drum for some time (around 3 hours) until it changed from white/grey to blue/transparent and became much thinner. At this point we removed the log holding the lid up and placed a rock on the lid to hold it down (the heat can make the metal buckle as the drums are relatively thin). We then used the soil dug from the trench to seal the trench on either side of the drum at the base and packed some around the edge of the lid to seal the top. We did have to dampen the soil a little as some was too dry / friable to make a good seal.

We then waited around 2 hours for the kilns to cool before 'testing' them, first by feeling around the sides with our hands for hot spots, then by lifting the lid and listening for crackling (the sound that embers make when they're almost out). Once we were satisfied it was ok, we lifted the drum and then riddled the contents. Any unfinished 'bents' were kept for next time, as were the fines, everything else we bagged and took home - and I had a cracking good barbeque that night.

As previously said, the type of wood, size of wood, whether it is green / seasoned, the size of the kiln, the ambient temperature, amount of wind, and probably numerous other factors will affect the timings. We had two virtually identical kilns, loaded with wood from the same source, located within 10 feet of each other, and they performed differently, one charring quicker, one producing more coals, etc. In my mind its done when its done, and only practice & experience will tell.

A couple of other thoughts:

For those of you using kilns & burning wood beforehand / outside - why? All the wood we used made product.

With respect to how to make charcoal without a kiln, I have previously 'played' at it by building a good fire, putting on some suitable logs, allowing them to catch alight before burying the whole thing in wet sand (not washed sand). This made some nice charcoal, but it was quite an effort afterwards having to dig it all up & sift out the coals, plus the resulting ash/sand mix couldn't be re-used and was only suitable to be added to the compost.

I hope this is of use, sorry for the length of the post, but it was a day long course !!

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
normally if you get air into a small drum tehn the lid will pop a bit and you end up with a bin full of ash :eek: not really worth the risk for the sake of leaving it til the drum is cool :cool:

Luckly for me it was while the wood was still charring so the vent was still open. Usually I will shut it down and leave it overnight before lifting the lid, just so it doesn't relight.

Here are my drums burning.
Note the 'key hole covers' for the vents, which I had made by a friend. One of the lids is my friends that I borrowed so I could do 2 burns at the same time. When we shut it down we cover the key hole cover with sand.

100_0408.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE