Changing to whoopie slings? (sorry, yes another suspension question!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

I think I am probably being really thick, but everytime I start to read up about whoopie slings, I end up confusing myself as to how it all works.

Am I right in thinking that the following is all I need to convert to the whoopie sling system?

The slings themselves
and some tree huggers

I already have two krabs.

Sorry if it's a dumb Q, but having never seen one in the flesh, I'm having a real mental block. I'f I'm completely honest I am striggling to work out how the adjust! :confused:

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The way I have my DD Frontline hammock set up is:
A amsteel continuous Loop through the channel in the hammock.
A soft shackle connects the loop to the whoopie sling.
The whoopie sling is connected to the tree hugger using a marlin spike hitch.

You could put the whoopie sling through the channel then through the fixed loop in the whoopie sling. This is ok but rain could run down the whoopie to your hammock.
If you put a soft shackle or crab in the set up this acts as a drip line which should take the rain away from the hammock

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's pretty much it, it's very simple really. As resnikov says, it's better if you have something in there to catch any rain water running down your straps and slings though. You could use either a soft shackle or a ring (Big Mamma Slings) or even another crab, personally I use rings or Dutch biners.

Think of the whoopie as a line with a loop on each end, the fixed loop goes at the hammock end and the adjustable loop is at the tree end. Adjustment is just a case of pulling the inner braid either towards the tree to lengthen and lower, or towards the hammock to shorten and lift.

I think I put a link up to one of Shug's youtube vids on the whoopie sling thread, have a look at that as he explains it really well.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Hi Rob,

Starting from the tree end, the huggers you've shown will be great. They are shown with a dutch clip, but I dont think they come from UKHammock with dutch clips as standard. You can either use a carabiner in place of the dutch clip or thread the hugger through the sewn in loop on one end to tighten around the trunk. Next, you'll need to attach the whoopie sling to the hugger, and the best method is probably a marlin spike hitch and toggle. This is really easy to tie and the toggle can be home-made from almost anything. The whoopie then runs down to the gathered end of your hammock, but you will need a drip ring of sorts to stop rain running down the sling and into your hammock. Now depending on what hammock you've got, you'll either have a sewn-in channel at the end to thread a strap through (like the DD hammocks) or a permanently whipped end (like the Warbonnet hammocks). For both types I'd recommend a 12" (approx) closed loop of amsteel or similar, to either thread through the channel (DD type) and pass it through itself to tie of with a larks head, or tie a larks head around the whipped end on the Warbonnet type. Either way, you will have a short loop fixed to the end of the hammock which can be connected to the whoopie with a carabiner as a drip ring. You can use desender rings here instead of carabiners if you can source some. UKHammock might have them. Thats your suspension set up and ready to got.

The adjustment on the whoopie is simple once you've seen it in action. The braided rope is threaded through itself, so when you apply a load the outer braid constricts on the inner braid and locks it tight. The greater the load the tighter it grips. To slacken just remove the load and pull the inner braid through from the opposite end and it slides through easily. Its got to be the easiest and lightest suspension system available; you just need to trust the slings because they look VERY thin :D

Personally, I'd go for the marlin spike method, so you'll need a couple of toggles, and unless your looking to save weight, I'd also get another pair of carabiners, so you've got a set to attach the huggers to the trees and a set as drip rings to attach the whoopies to the closed loops at the hammock end. Some people use soft shackles instead of carabiners to save weight, but I havent used them myself.

Hope this helps.

Mark

edit: I took so long typing that post that resnikov, Shewie and Lab72 got in their before me.:D

p.s. Shugs videos are great.

Last edited:

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Cheers guys, It's clicked now....I think!

I'll probably just shorten some of the tape that came with my frontline for the loop through the hammock channel, rather than purchase amsteel.

So, Hammock, short tape loop in the channel to a krab (as a drip ring), krab into fixed loop of the whoopie, whoopie to the tree hugger with a toggle (marlin spike hitch).

Edit, didnt refresh after watching shigs vid, so didn't see Roe Ring's reply, thanks mate!

Last edited:

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Damn it Shewie your fast;)

All of you lot are damn fast! I was thinking I'd probaly be waiting untill tomrrow before I had enough advice to make a purchase!

Thanks to you all, your help it much appreciated. I have to say, I have always been a keen outdoors and bushcraft person, it comes with the Scouting territory, but this forum has rekindled a strong passion. That, and it got my hanging!

Resnikov, I've replied pal! :D

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Having changed suspension last week the only thing I can add is to advise that you ask about a bead or similar on the amsteel of the adjustable loop so it cannot be pulled into itself. Alternatively a couple of suitable sized split rings (nitestix) made an "aftermarket" mod on my sets. I went direct to the hammock but have old fashioned paracord drip lines which seemed to intercept the rain OK.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I have ordered the slings, toggles and tree huggers from ukhammocks now, special delivery as I'm an impatient sod!

Looking forward to doing the change!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
what does a setup like this set you back?

If you want to save cash...

you can make it yourself. You can get Dyneema for a pound a meter online. You need about double the amount for the required length of whoopie - so for 2x2m metre whoopies you'll need 8m of dyneema/amsteel = £8 plus you then have to make em - it's easy, even I can do it.
http://www.ropelocker.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20

You can pick up 2 luggage straps with ratchet tensioners for about £3-£4 a piece of the market - these can be converted to be your tree huggers by removing the ratchets = £6-£8
http://www.megatradestore.com/Ratch...Straps/635/Ratchet_Strap_Light_Duty_4M_x_25mm

Maillons can be found (screw gate shackles) for about £2-4 a piece, or you can order a little bit more dyneema and make soft shackles =£4-8's
http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/Maill...gle&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=shopping

Toggles can be made from sticks or tentpegs = free

So all in £18 -£24s + delivery

otherwise the prices are on ukhammocks.co.uk add up to about £33's but there's no work involved in setting it up

Last edited:

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Well, the kit arrived at the weekend, but I wasn't there and am out of the country on business so have to wait untill Friday before I can have a play. I get back Friday lunchtime so am thinking about heading up to the Ashdown Forest for a few hours to suss it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE