Changing to whoopie slings? (sorry, yes another suspension question!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I must be a Luddite but can someone explain what the huge advantage to simply using a decent length of webbing straight onto the hammock attachments is.I used to use a more complex system with rings and crabs etc but the weight and bulk was getting out of hand
I can see the point of Dyneema straight onto attachment i.e its lighter but the cost is prohibitive and the potential for tree damage
I use 1" freight webbing I found by a railway line with a touch of black spray paint for blending purposes
Works fine on all my hammocks but I don't like to feel I am missing out on a gear improving opportunity
Then again i don't even bother with a ridge line on my tarp bungees all the way

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
There is nothing wrong with webbing at all, in fact, so long as the system works and your happy with it, that's all that matters. what do you do to stop moisture running down your webbing to your hammock? Tie a drip line? That is where I find crabs/rings good, as drip rings.

I was after changing from the straps that came with my hammock as they had far to much stretch in them for my liking. That's why I have moved to a comination if webbing as the "tree hugger" and whoopie slings as the main suspension line. You don't use whoopie slings around the trees, as you mention, that would cause damage to the tree due to the size of them.

I prefer to use a ridge line for my tarp, mainly down to the fact that I find I can rig it up faster than without. I also feel happier knowing that with a ridge line, you know that your less likely to get pooling in a a heavy down pour as it givves structure for a run off. That's also where I really like my DD hammock as the tarp hangs from loops off the ridge line meaning that I don't get drops under the tarp from moisture wicking down the cord.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thanks for that Yeah i think I see the difference Unfortunately i am afflicted most of the time with carrying my kit so trim everything down I see fit and is cost effective
I only car camp when base camping and hillwalking with friends Then i take what I like weight wise but they still comment as I insist it all goes in the rucksack They are just happy if it fits in the car lol

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Right, all ready to go now, but a quick question re the tree huggers. Is there any disadvantage to feeding them through themselves, rather than a crab or dutch clip?

I only have two crabs, and want them between the hammock and whoopie slings as drip loops.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I must be a Luddite but can someone explain what the huge advantage to simply using a decent length of webbing straight onto the hammock attachments is.I used to use a more complex system with rings and crabs etc but the weight and bulk was getting out of hand
I can see the point of Dyneema straight onto attachment i.e its lighter but the cost is prohibitive and the potential for tree damage
I use 1" freight webbing I found by a railway line with a touch of black spray paint for blending purposes
Works fine on all my hammocks but I don't like to feel I am missing out on a gear improving opportunity
Then again i don't even bother with a ridge line on my tarp bungees all the way

I too am a luddite but I'm finally starting to go for lighter gear and more importantly less bulky gear. This summer I'll be converting over to this system as it looks great. My ridgeline is massive, when you add the thick line that comes with DD hammocks and 2 huge carabiners looking at all the new super strong super light line it's really starting to appeal to me. It looks perfect to reduce bulk and bung into a small daysack for going under the radar on hammock missions.

Ultralight looks expensive to say the least but this looks like a fairly cost effective step when hammocking. I'll never be a pube counter but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of lighter loads equals happy days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE