Changing career...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Hello to everyone,

Since I found out that the place to get the most constructive feedback from a community was BCUK, I tought I'd talk to you folks about it and see what comes out of it.

I'm currently not really happy in my current career as an IT (yes....another one !) and I'm trying to get advises from people that might have underwent the same process of changing career.

So here it is, my situation : I'm 25 y.o., and I'm interested into becoming a plumber for many reasons (I'm a hands-on kind of guy, I'm interested into having my own business in order to manage my own time and be able to make more money to have more spare time... for bushcraft !!!). At the moment, I'm single, have no kids and almost no debts (only a little balance to pay on my education loan), I have some cash in bank and I'm not the kind of guy that spends a lot of money on useless stuff.

My alternatives : In order to become a plumber I'd have to either follow a 18 months course that is not given in my region (I'd prefer to stay localy where I live) or from what I was told by some folks, I could start an apprenticeship with a local tradesman that would last between 4-5 years. In both case, the 4 years of experience is required to become a recognized plumber (that is if I want to start my own business).

My concerns : lack of money while in my learning process (preferably I'd like to earn a few bucks while I learn the trade whitout having to get a job in the meantime), lack of knowledge to start a business.

Input from people that changed career, or who own a small business would be greatly appreciated. Heck, any input will be appreciated !

On that note, have a good day !

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you've hit the nail on the head here with the experience thing. I am a construction plant fitter, I work on hydraulics, pneumatics, diesel and petrol engines, vehicle electrics, transmissions, brakes, tracked vehicles running gear, epicyclic gear trains, you name it. I've done this for about ten years but wanted a change for when I leave the army so decided on a gas fitters course.

This is where the problems start, everyone wants a minimum of three years experience, but how do I get that experience if nobody is willing to take me on? I'm starting to get a little worrie about my job prospects on leaving the army, althoughI have loads of good qualifications!!

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I think the first question i'd ask you is are you sure this isn't just a case of "the grass is greener on the other side"?

No idea what side of IT you work in, but there are so many different paths in IT. Would it not be easier (if the loss of income over 4 years is a big factor) to set up your own business in something your already trained in?

Have a look here: http://www.careers4graduates.org/direction/direction.phtml as there is some useful information.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
andyn said:
I think the first question i'd ask you is are you sure this isn't just a case of "the grass is greener on the other side"?

No idea what side of IT you work in, but there are so many different paths in IT. Would it not be easier (if the loss of income over 4 years is a big factor) to set up your own business in something your already trained in?

Ya, I asked that myself many times too, and after thinking about it, it is not a case of greener grass elsewhere. For instance, my first IT job was as a general tech (a bit of everything, networking, support, programmation) and I wanted to specialize in networking or in programmation. Now that I have a job where I can focus more in programmation (with great conditions/boss/coworker and everything...even with free coffee ! :D ), I'm not much more pleased.

My father is a carpenter and it's now that I realize that I pretty much enjoy working with my hands on more tangible stuff than on a computer. For instance, this summer, I've helped him chaging all the doors/windows on our home (plus all the doors on our small appartment building) and it was almost therapeutic for me to switch the keyboard for a hammer/crowbar/paintbrush. It also rings another bell, as a student, I always worked mowing lawn, and as a helper on a nearby cattle farm and it was such a soothing feeling to end the day phisicaly tired instead of mentally tired.

SPAMEL : Yes indeed, experience seems to be crucial in manual trades. So I guess my big problem would be to find someone localy that would be willing to teach me from the ground up. But as I have ease with manual tasks and tools I'm pretty sure that i'd learn quite fast.

Soooo, in the meantime, I'm earning a nice salary and I'm thinking about it all....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I myself am very much like you, I can pick up manual skills quickly. I can't believe this experience thing when Britain has such a shortage of gas engineers. I thought I was making a smart move doing this, but now I'm not too sure. :(

I can see how people can get depressed when I think that I shelled out a fair few quids to learn the skills I learnt. Hopefully I will get my break, and I hope you do too. ;)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
spamel said:
I myself am very much like you, I can pick up manual skills quickly. I can't believe this experience thing when Britain has such a shortage of gas engineers. I thought I was making a smart move doing this, but now I'm not too sure. :(

That pretty much sums up my other concern for a career change.

I've looked up the job perspectives in plumbing/heating for my region and plumbers don't seem to be 10 for a dime (opposed to the situation in UK with eastern europe cheap laborers immigrating). That, and also the fact that most of the trained plumbers (50% +) are 40 y.o. and up. So there should be a shortage of qualified plumbers in the 15-20 years to come.

I feel like I'm in my last high school year all over again (AHHHHHHHHH), looking for a professionnal that'd be willing to let me tag along for a couple days in order to make up my mind about my career choice... Since I cannot decide only by looking at articles on the subject, I'll have to put my hands on it to make up my mind...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey Fred,

my mate has just changed from an electrician to a plumber, took a training course and started his own buisness. The course was'nt that long and he's doing ok, if you want, i'll drop you his number. The only thing is, i'm working nights this week so i may not be able to get you his number 'til the weekend. He's in South wales, he's Scottish (yeah, go figure) and he's a top lad so he may be able to help you out.

Spamel,
i'm in a very similar situation to you just a different coloured hat! Just under two years left and i'm really not sure how it's going to pan out. We could buy a wood and rent it out to bushcrafters! You a VM then? ;)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Jedadiah said:
Hey Fred,

my mate has just changed from an electrician to a plumber, took a training course and started his own buisness. The course was'nt that long and he's doing ok, if you want, i'll drop you his number. The only thing is, i'm working nights this week so i may not be able to get you his number 'til the weekend. He's in South wales, he's Scottish (yeah, go figure) and he's a top lad so he may be able to help you out.

Ahh, too bad I live across the ocean :( . Perhaps he has an e-mail address where I could get in contact with him ? It's really nice of you to do that, thanks mate ! :You_Rock_

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Jedadiah said:
Spamel,
i'm in a very similar situation to you just a different coloured hat! Just under two years left and i'm really not sure how it's going to pan out. We could buy a wood and rent it out to bushcrafters! You a VM then? ;)

Fitter in the engineers. I just need to do something different, I've enjoyed fitting as I am mechanically minded and don't mind getting dirty hands, I work on the legendary CET so there you go!! I just can't see myself crawling around under plant machinery till I'm 65!!

It's a difficult thing changing your career completely, and the last few years you do in the army will fly by (I assume you are in the forces!). I signed off last year in Iraq and can't believe how quickly it has gone!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yeah Spamel, know what you mean. I'm a Crab equivalent of a VM and i too cannot see myself crawling around under trucks until i retire. I just fancy a complete change.

I think it's unrealistic to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life when you are 14, study for the quals, start at 16 and do it 'til your 65. I'm looking at the big 40 in a couple of years and just feel like total life transformation. Whats on the cards for you?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Personally, I've always found the idea that you could ever pick something you wanted to do for the rest of your life bizarre... I mean, just one thing, over and over, 5 days a week, for the next however-many years? Spare me!

I guess I'm just not cut out for this world...

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
RE-changing your career

Well after two years of college, 950 odd C.V.'s posted, faxed or emailed. I'm still looking for a electrical firm to employ me as a trainee electrician. I've even offer to work for nothing to gain the skills and experience. I have found that every time a job becomes available, there's 100's of more applying for the same job. If you do change career, good luck to you :)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I've been a soldier, plasterer's labourer, ambulance man, tv engineer, electrician, sales man, student and teacher since I started work 43 years ago. I've been employed, self employed and unemployed and owned my own business. I've a degree, diplomas and more trade qualifications than you can shake a stick at. I retire next year.
My advice is to just go for what you fancy. If money is holding you back you may need to question if it is viable to change at all, or just change within what you do.
Nobody makes a lot of money over time out of working with their hands unless they own the business. Anything to do with the building trades goes in cycles and what pays well this week will have a glut of people undercutting each other next week.
I currently teach just two days a week. I have no debts and few responsibilities so don't need a lot of cash but I am looking for a day a week as a librarian. I like meeting people, and I'd like first pick at the murder mysteries.
Could you work part time with your current expertise and develop something that satisfies your soul alongside that? My son had a period where he had three part time jobs.
HTH

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
RichUK said:
Well after two years of college, 950 odd C.V.'s posted, faxed or emailed. I'm still looking for a electrical firm to employ me as a trainee electrician. I've even offer to work for nothing to gain the skills and experience. I have found that every time a job becomes available, there's 100's of more applying for the same job. If you do change career, good luck to you :)

Hmmm, 950 CVs ? Didn't your college help their students with finding them jobs in local businesses ? Here in Quebec, local businesses and schools work hand in hand in order to supply companies with diplomed students right at the end of their education. Also, before starting my education as an IT, I already knew that 90%+ of the students in that formation would be hired at the end of college.

I'm kinda suprised that someone with a college diploma and willing to learn/work has so much difficulty finding a job... then again, I don't know about the employment situation for electricians in UK...

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
nobby said:
Could you work part time with your current expertise and develop something that satisfies your soul alongside that? My son had a period where he had three part time jobs.
HTH

This is pretty much my most viable solution in mind at the moment. I have to admit that I could probably live at least 10-12 months without worrying much about cash, unemployed that is. And I also could work as a contractual IT in the meantime.

It's very nice to hear testamonials like yours folks :You_Rock_ keep em comming :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hmmm. Excuse the lateral thinking here but I'm going to look at this from a wider perspective. 25, unattached, no debts, a college education. In all seriousness the WORLD is your oyster. Get out a world map, pick some places you dream of being in. Then find a way of being there. Could do worse than be a volunteer in a 3rd world country for 2-3 years. Development agencies would love you with your skills I would think.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As a 32 year old with two children, a mortgage that stretches me and a job that makes me feel unwell as I drive to it, I'd advise a full run up, suited and booted leap.

You can always go back to IT if it all fails, but once your life becomes more complicated it will be nigh on impossible to change direction.

What's the worst that could happen? Really. With me, it'd be the spare room at my Mother in laws! :eek:

How many people will want little jobs doing under their sink or on their PC which would give you a meal (and endear you to your friends)?

Pursuit of happiness? I wish you all the very best.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE