Challenge: the worst knife ever?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Check these bad boys out

56e230076fdb8165f41f8bce2ef60b97.jpg
a746dc323052a1f841748e9a094d7a74.jpg
2d12123451b9cee50a8a837b97efcf8b.jpg
999648f2b8d3fb17343deddd7b86200e.jpg

Wow. Imagine showing up on a bushcraft course with the scorpion gauntlet knife thingy.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I remember one of them which hade the wire cutter thing but also a catapult.

I've still got one that I've had since I was a kid...the Jungle King! Bought from Victor Morris in Glasgow (any Glasgow folks will remember the curious combination of a shop that sound musical instruments, knives, swords and guns).

The blade doesn't hold an edge at all, the wire cutter wouldn't cut anything stronger than solder wire, the catapult is lethal (to the person attempting to fire it), you couldn't baton margerine with it (and really wouldn't want to try)...but to my 12 year old self it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. The only thing on it that probably would be useful was the harpon included in the sheath...if I'd found a whale in my local river.

My youngest (who is now 12) also thinks it's a miracle of design...despite it's complete lack of useability.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I still say the giant SAk beats all these hands down, mostly for ridiculousness of purpose and purchase cost combined, you could probably buy every knife in this thread for the cost of one Giant SAK.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Fair enough I was just trying to picture using the needle nose pliers to get a fish hook out, were the rest designed for actually using or for the plinths and mounts they came with?

I'd always thought of these as the traditional SAK shop window display item

6902518_1_l.jpg

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fair enough I was just trying to picture using the needle nose pliers to get a fish hook out, were the rest designed for actually using or for the plinths and mounts they came with?

I'd always thought of these as the traditional SAK shop window display item

6902518_1_l.jpg

I always wanted one of those :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have to admit it, me too, there is one in my local hardware shop and it's been doing it's thing for well over 20 years, would be cool to have a mains operated one of an actual normal sized SA knife that done the same thing for on top of the mantlepiece or maybe usb powered so i could plug it into the lappy

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
survival_knife_kit_with_sheath__21435.jpg

I had one back in 1983/4. The knife was godawful, but the stone was worse. It must have been 2 grit or something :lmao:

my dad bought me one of these when i was about 8 years old and we had our first ever holiday and went to devon for a week. About 3 hours after buying it me and my dad decided to test the sawback out by cutting down a sapling about 2in diameter and the knife bent completley over in an L shape and we threw it away. But funnily enough i still have the wire "saw", as i found a survival kit recently that i made as a kid (after reading the book 'staying alive with eddie mcgee' which i also still have).

ps. im 36 now :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've still got one that I've had since I was a kid...the Jungle King!

I think that's the one I had. Also about 12 years old and loved it, even though it would hardly cut a block of cheese

To be fair though I ended up using it as a throwing knife and never broke it!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
So far for me the worst knives i've had yet were all Mora's.

Had 2 cutting edges chip badly, 1 the tip snapped off and the other the handle came off.

Wouldn't use another one if you paid me.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So far for me the worst knives i've had yet were all Mora's.

Had 2 cutting edges chip badly, 1 the tip snapped off and the other the handle came off.

Wouldn't use another one if you paid me.

begs the question what were you doing with them? I've only ever had tips break when I've been misusing the knife - e.g. using an opinel as a screwdriver...

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
begs the question what were you doing with them? I've only ever had tips break when I've been misusing the knife - e.g. using an opinel as a screwdriver...

Nothing different than i do with all my other knives, no problems with any of them.

In fairness those were by far the cheapest knives i own so not a fair comparison, but if a knife fails while being used as a knife it doesn't really matter how cheap it is to me.

When the handle came off one of them i completed my work using a folder, no problems with that.
You'd think a folder with give up a fair bit easier than the handle of a fixed blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE