Chainsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just got me a nice Makita chainsaw. 18" Petrol I've got 20 small Oaks to take down to make room for a road I have to build. Anyone else got a chainsaw and what do you use it for?

I wonder......should this come under kit :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Stihl 017 just a little un for cutting up logs and a tad of limbing. Cut a car out with it and unblocked the road for the Police in those last storms we had, just passing like (also got a nice load of beech and oak logs :wink: that day).
Then i split em with a good old English Elwell axe. I don't get on with the sandvics ribbed wedge.
Cheers
Rich

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i got stihl's 020t14" 024 16" and 066 the beast 3 footer plus a johnsered 18"
and very old remington 16" and backache :-D

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
don't do spoons did log cabin some years ago was only six foot square
my best effort at the moment is mushrooms when i got time to play :nana:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Tone.

Don't forget your safety gear................never use a saw without it, the chain on my saw travels at 15 meters per second, at that speed it doesn't take long to go through you.

Jack.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ive got a big red one and use it for chopping up wandering american teenagers so I can make grandpa's sausages!

Whoops this isnt Texas is it?

Wendi

Jun 2, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

What sort of training can you get in chainsaws over there? Coincidentally enough, I just finished a chainsaw certification course last weekend. We are required by law to have certification if we are doing any paid work (using your chainsaw on your own property for your own purposes doesn't require a certificate). The course was about 24 hours long - 2 nights of class work (including learning how to clean, sharpen and maintain the saw) and 2 full days of field work.
Last Saturday saw me cutting down 6 red pine that were 12 - 16 inches in diameter. And Sunday we were clearing Scot's pine and poplar out of a woodlot.
Safety was definitely always on my mind. We were required to wear steel toed boots, hard hat with face shield, and, most importantly, chainsaw pants.
It was a lot of fun but I have to admit I've never been so sore before! I discovered muscles I never new I had. By the end of the day I could barely lift the saw and did my limbing with the saw resting on either my leg or the tree!

Wendi

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
In the uk there is a week long course. Day and a half on maintainence alone, then moving onto cross cutting and snedding, then felling, and finally other cutting techniques nand how to deal with hung up trees.

You need this qualification to use a chainsaw(petrol) in the Uk.

F

FJS90-91

Steak and Mash said:
Stihl - the only chainsaw to be seen with .. magnificent tools

pardon me.... When it comes to chainsaws, i would say that Husqvarna is the only tool for professionals.. Personaly I prefer the 372XPG.. DAMN!!! what a machine!!

(clearing saws on the other hand is a STIHL speciality, in my humble opinion)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Husqvarna 262xp is the one for me 18" bar tungston chain. Spent many hours using this and love it.

But, I would love the one that was on Robbie Coltrain's planes trains ant automobiles.

350cc twin cylinder two stroke engine, with an expansion pipe that the average two stroke biker would have killed for in the eightys. :shock:

Brix

Jun 5, 2004
Denmark
www.brix-tactical.dk
Hi all

It has already been said, but I will join!! the husqarna is the best chain saw on the market!!

I'm educated forestry worker and have 4 husqarnas myself, 254XPG, 2 372 XPG and a 392XPG, they are the best saws! I have tried Stihl but I don't like the balance in them when you are cutting spruce, chopping the branches of.

In my oppunion there is 2 brands there can be used by pro's husqarna and Stihl. if you choose one of them you are getting the bedst!

Nicolai

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
have to cause trouble here :) i really dont like Husky`s, i started on a still which probably explains why i much much much prefer the feel of them. Also little bits and bobs on them make more sense , eg where the guide bar adjust screw is

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE