Chainsaw advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
Sorry for the late reply guys, been pretty busy! Thanks for all the info (and yes, I'll keep the kickguard on), and I'm still just waiting for that ebay bargain on some PPE. I think possibly some sort of cast iron forehead protection may be in order too, I'm not in the market for a lobotomy quite yet...Despite what others say.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sorry for the late reply guys, been pretty busy! Thanks for all the info (and yes, I'll keep the kickguard on), and I'm still just waiting for that ebay bargain on some PPE. I think possibly some sort of cast iron forehead protection may be in order too, I'm not in the market for a lobotomy quite yet...Despite what others say.

A smallish chainsaw, which from the sound of it is all you need, has a fairly controllable kick back (especially as they often use a low kick back chain). I still treat my MS181 with respect as it's capable of being very dangerous but it's not the scary beast I'd feared. I wear a helmet when sawing because it has the mesh visor & hearing protection. If you aren't doing any felling then goggles & ear defenders will suffice. I've felled a few small trees and the odd branch fell on my head as a result but was deflected by the helmet.

Don't be scared of the tool, but at the minimum look at some chainsaw safety videos online

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just cut some logs. A large one fell on my foot & missed the steel toe-cap of my rigger boots. Despite my loud yelp my wife didn't come out to check if it was something more serious :(

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
the minimum look at some chainsaw safety videos online

The minimum should be to go and get some proper first hand training in the safe use of the tool, the internet is no substitute im afraid, many agricultural colleges do short courses in chainsaw safety for home users these days, it's money well spent and basically could save your life.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yes, it should be but chainsaw safety courses aren't free and if someone isn't prepared to pay for one then the online videos are better than no preparation at all

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
The minimum should be to go and get some proper first hand training in the safe use of the tool, the internet is no substitute im afraid, many agricultural colleges do short courses in chainsaw safety for home users these days, it's money well spent and basically could save your life.

Sound advice. I took my saw along when I did the Lantra course and learnt loads about how to set it up and that it needed a new bar and chain.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Listen to people that are trained and have gained knowledge from experts, not from people recommending the bloody internet!
I wish people would not send people down the dangerous route!
You would not buy a car and drive it without training just cos you don't have the money!
If you heard the stories I have, mostly about people that think they know how to use a chainsaw, and then lose a limb or worse, this post would not even have been started!
If fully trained and qualified professionals can still have accidents then why take the risk as an amateur? Please get some practical one to one training.

RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE