Chaga in England??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Found this a week ago but it was totally soaked/rotten. I know it's chaga even though it didn't grow on a birch.
Now then , my question is ....has anyone ever come across chaga on a birch tree in England? And which county? If you want to be more precise on location please do !!��
20161216_122823.jpg

20161216_122812.jpg

TIA

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
well spotted, normally only grows in the colder climates, maybe Global Warming isn,t happening, have a nice cup of char with it, and stay healthy

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I don't think that is Chaga Sundowner. It doesn't tend to wet out like a sponge and the removal scar looks wrong. If you break it open it will be corky inside. I agree with Mary, let it dry out as quite a few fungi will take a spark.

As for finding Chaga, I've seen it most on mature trees usually in old stands. Quite common in the Highlands less so elsewhere. Here's an example for reference:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I don't think that is Chaga Sundowner. It doesn't tend to wet out like a sponge and the removal scar looks wrong. If you break it open it will be corky inside. I agree with Mary, let it dry out as quite a few fungi will take a spark.

As for finding Chaga, I've seen it most on mature trees usually in old stands. Quite common in the Highlands less so elsewhere. Here's an example for reference:

View attachment 43071

We'll now. I only started a few weeks back looking for chaga. Whilst this wasn't of a birch tree it had the corby orange bit inside. However, I'm looking to make tea from it and once it is soaked through like that it wouldn't have the beneficial properties anymore
Next time I'm in the Highlands I'll be spending days looking for it as it really looks like there's none or very little in England .
Thanks for your thoughts

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Three things then.

The chaga from birch is the preferred because it absorbs from the tree those very things you are looking for in the tea. It does grow on alder and beech too though.

It takes a lot of boiling, and it will take repeated boilings too. I doubt there'd be nothing worth obtaining from stuff that's just wet.

Even boiled out, the dried chaga is a good spark catcher, and is used as an incense too.

cheers,
Toddy

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Ok ��
I'll go back today and fetch it.
BTW I found plenty of horse hoof fungus for the sparky thing����

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's very good :) and it can be a fire carrier too :cool:
If you hollow out a little of the centre (on the underside, where the spores are) and get an ember into the space, then blow it up into a glow that gets a hold of the fungus, it'll happily glow away for hours. Easy to start a fire from and easy to carry a light safely too.

Interested to hear how you get on with the chaga though.

M

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Had a single small sample it in my woods in Hampshire, but on a dead birch so no good for consumption as birch was getting covered in turkey tail but ok for tinder.
Not seen it since.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE