Chaga Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Never having seen Chaga and a dry day for once I drove 15 miles to Grass Woods at Grassington for a look round, set off up hill to where I knew there was loads of Birch, passing a photo opertunity for the Bear
01_zpshu7bgedx.jpg~original

Soon over the top and into Limestone country and the Birch started
02_zpshkluiiea.jpg~original

03_zpsuzoaeint.jpg~original

04_zpszac83wpm.jpg~original

05_zpsduujajid.jpg~original

06_zpscleyxku0.jpg~original

No sign of any Chaga , but I'M not 100% shure what to look for ? Brew Time
07_zpsgpbp3wuo.jpg~original

I'd collected some dead standing Sycamore and Burdock for Bow/Hand drills
08_zpszkmikwmz.jpg~original

I mix Lapsang Souchong, Keemun and Oolong for my version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Caravan
09_zpsc0vnatuc.jpg~original

10_zpstta99ifu.jpg~original

then Scoff time Sild in T sauce and a Salad
11_zpsw3cs2dtr.jpg~original

Black Pudding and an Egg
12_zpsslb2fbue.jpg~original

12a_zpsquelhelc.jpg~original

then another Brew and a pipe of Balkan mix
13_zpssdd41x7b.jpg~original

Life is Good ! - then the way back
14_zpsajyxieio.jpg~original

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
This thread is making me hungry. Nice photos! Looks like a nice day out!
Black pudding, is that the same as sausage made from blood?

Thank you for sharing :D

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
I think that chaga is best found in spots where there is sustained cold in the winter, I think the highlands is the only place it can be reliably found in the UK.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice walk Dan :D Thank you for the post and photos :cool:
I too like Russian Caravan, I'm still drinking some of a late lamented Poppof Brothers tinful that was a present from a tea aficionado. S'good stuff :)

M

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Nice walk Dan :D Thank you for the post and photos :cool:
I too like Russian Caravan, I'm still drinking some of a late lamented Poppof Brothers tinful that was a present from a tea aficionado. S'good stuff :)

M

Hi Mary have you tried blending your own ? I usually add a bit more Lapsang for the 'smokey' taste ;)
the local shops stock Keemun, Lapsang and Oolong but look at you 'Funny' if you ask for Russian Caravan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't but admit that your post did make me think of it.
I have a small tin of superb Wuyi Lapsang souchong (I'm spoiled, Son1's a tea drinker too, and he has expensive tastes and shares his bounty with his Mum :) ) and I'm tempted to try a little of it in your mix :)

Talking of teas, the everyday Chinese supermarket Gunpowder tea is very good mixed with LS too :)

M

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I haven't but admit that your post did make me think of it.
I have a small tin of superb Wuyi Lapsang souchong (I'm spoiled, Son1's a tea drinker too, and he has expensive tastes and shares his bounty with his Mum :) ) and I'm tempted to try a little of it in your mix :)

Talking of teas, the everyday Chinese supermarket Gunpowder tea is very good mixed with LS too :)

M

Ha Ha I like how the 'little green balls' swell up :naughty:

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
I think that chaga is best found in spots where there is sustained cold in the winter, I think the highlands is the only place it can be reliably found in the UK.

'tis the only place I've come across it so far, mind. On a Birch on the side of a forest road in the Northern Cairngorms. Right stroke of fortune, as I wasn't especially out on the look for it. Only the once though mind, so had a decent slab for me self.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE