chafing pants and underwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 11, 2016
Lake District
Hello Basically i have a problem Involving everything Below my belly :sulkoff: I have been looking allover for underwear IE boxer shorts that dont ride up my backside and my inside leg I have tried allsorts From Nylon cotton to Old man underwear (The Baggy stuff) witch wasn't too bad as there was a nice Breeze up my leg helping to reduce sweating intern less clingy But in the end still getting chafing and when it rains O boy Its like i have wet myself down there and kept the rotten things on for the rest of the day Any Ideas I do have chunk legs Mostly Made of Kebab meat ;) But there no tooo bad

AS for my pants I recently bought some Fjallraven Barents And all the top seems to be chaffing my hips im not sure if its just rough belt loops or the rim of the pants
When i tuck my shirt in its ok and i dont mind doing this But when its summer and its getting worm i want to be able to have my shirt free and a nice draft up my belly :D!

Any Ideas Guys Im desperate!!!!!

Thanks In advance

George Seal

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My son purchased quite a few pairs of under armour underwear to take to the hot places that the army sends him, another alternative would be cycling shorts worn instead of underwear.

Oh & tuck your shirt in, us bushcrafters have dress standards you know !.

Rob

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
For serious walking I'm in cycling shorts -well Kooga rugby versions. I have a patch at the top of my thigh where my bum cheeks start about 2 inches square that I shave and apply Bodyglide to. My body hair is what otherwise causes friction soreness rather than my clothing but it's fair to say clothes only show their issues at 10 miles plus.

Must be getting it right though now as 20 miler last month no blisters, no chaffing!

Next used to do cotton boxers with a seam that didn't run up the centre of the seat (rewrote this description 3 times :) ) don't know if they do now.

Jockey do trunks which are extremely comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I bought a two-pack of "athletic" boxer underpants to solve the chafing at the top of the leg problem I've had for as long as I can remember- any one worn serge battledress? They solved the chafing, but wow the BO! At the end of the day even I don't like to be near me!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, to lessen the BO you need to wear loose underwear. Baby powder helps too, but in my experience it is very important to wash off the powder before sleeping, or you get into an even worse situation the next day.

As I never know if I am able to wash I do not use baby powder, which also saves a bit weight.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
…. I have a patch at the top of my thigh where my bum cheeks start about 2 inches square that I shave and apply Bodyglide to. My body hair is what otherwise causes friction soreness rather than my clothing …..

Whoa, far too much information - I'm off to apply some mind-bleach! :yikes:

Apologies to the new member for those disturbing images but I have to agree with Countryman that lycra "cycling" shorts (i.e. without a chamois liner) help minimise the chaffing when I'm carrying a few pounds more than I should - wear them inside out if there is a seam that bothers you.

Next "A" front "trunks" underwear have a bit of lycra or elastic in them which helps keep everything together and reduces friction.

Good luck!

Jul 11, 2016
Lake District
Whoa, far too much information - I'm off to apply some mind-bleach! :yikes:

Apologies to the new member for those disturbing images but I have to agree with Countryman that lycra "cycling" shorts (i.e. without a chamois liner) help minimise the chaffing when I'm carrying a few pounds more than I should - wear them inside out if there is a seam that bothers you.

Next "A" front "trunks" underwear have a bit of lycra or elastic in them which helps keep everything together and reduces friction.

Good luck!

Yeah used them A fronts that's where i (Seam! to get the Problem) hahaha

Jul 11, 2016
Lake District
I will try some under Armour was looking at them a bit ago but dint want to pay that price for something not guaranteed to work as for the pants they have been washed numerous times cough On meany occasions because i had to take the underwear off because of the chaffe (Remember being in some moorland in the middle of the rain started ripping my undies off low and behold 2 walkers coming up from behind Great experience as they where Both girls It must have been majestic seeing that full moon in the thick rain in the middle of nowhere :buttkick: ) But they still chafe it feels like there is something sharp rubbing up against me all day when i take em off all my hips are red and tender

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Plus one for under armour pants. They come in two lengths I have the shorter of the two and they're great. One recommendation that I have from my own experience is to remove damp pants and trousers at the earliest opportunity. Sitting in them after walking always gave me what I can only explain as nappy rash. Another tip is to use talc after a shower if you've been chafed.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Silk boxer shorts. Expensive, but well worth it.
The Fjallraven pants sound like they need a couple of good washes to go soft.

They don't really become soft to be honest, have a pair, and they stay pretty rigid (which i like actually, but i can see how it'll be a problem for those who have issues with chafing).

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When young, pretty and able, I used to do long range cycling, around 100-150 kilometers each time. The cycling shorts had an inner layer of Chamois. We used to apply a liberal layer of something similar to Vaseline all inside.
No chafing.
Also used to impregnate the leather saddle with the same stuff.

Jul 11, 2016
Lake District
I see people Recommending some Lube... for that general area tbh when i first got this chafe my mate gave me some stuff to rub down there but after a bit it became rather unpleasant Sweaty oily skin rank (for me anyways) i guys some people like that :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advise guys I will try this Under Armour And perhaps some talc powder But i bet that stuffs hard to apply in the wind tehehe

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Plus one to the advice above on the under armour style lycra's. If worse comes to it and you do get the chafe, apply sudocreme liberally and you'll be good by morning.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I gave up on boxers years ago as they always rode up and became uncomfortable, went commando for about 8 years unless temperatures dropped into minus figures. Had an operation that set me onto wearing underwear again last year and I find basic briefs very comfortable. Not felt the need to go commando since.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Try Buffalo pertex boxers, the busimess for hot weather. I also like the Rohan underwear which comes in briefs and boxers, as a chafe prone chap I have been very pleased with all the above.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Merino works for me. I work in an environment where hot takes on a new meaning. We pre bake and powder coat heavy gauge steel work and have to work in and through a 6 metre oven running at 180deg. Also being a largish chap you can imagine I sweat a fair bit. Tried Under Armour and ok until it's damp then it chafes.
Swapped to Merino last year and a noticeable difference, yes expensive but for me worth the outlay.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Think I wrote somewhere else on here about this. Tried the merino and the underarmour underwear. Both didn't work for me so went back to cotton boxers much better. The under armour tried 3 leg lengths the only one not to ride up were the 9's but boy were they hot to wear can't see how the lads in Afghanistan put up with them.

good tip previously said the buffalo boxers forgot about them, they are good had a pair light blue with Velcro fastening way way back and worked in Kenya at least

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE