CG SAS Survival Guide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I'm just about to buy the Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide. And I wondered what it says about shelter building? Is there any pictures of shelter types? How long is the chapter on shelters?

Thanks in advance. :biggthump

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Little viking - buy the book and see!

There is a whole chapter on shelters and it covers natural and man made ones - you'll love it.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Gary said:
Little viking - buy the book and see!

There is a whole chapter on shelters and it covers natural and man made ones - you'll love it.
I will. And the quotations one too. :biggthump Thanks!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
TheViking said:
What about Food for Free? Is the edible plants in real images or just drawings? :roll:
Mostly drawings but it is excellent nonetheless!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Many thanks! :biggthump
But a plant book actually needs images to be safe. Some plants produce poisonous damps when cooked. I've learned this from my plant contact in DK.
Heck, i'll buy it anyway. :wink:

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
If you mean the food for free book by Richard Maybe published by Collins it is excellent and all photos history and recipes also try wild food by Roger Phillips published by Pan Books also excellent

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
as our stuart pointed out at one of the meet-ups, the collins gem versions of both the SAS suvival handbook and food for free make a great pocket combination for bushcrafty outings.

cheers, and.

G

Ginja

This might be overkill, but I'd advise you to buy BOTH copies of Food For Free - the new photograph-based version, and the original hand-drawn version (though it ain't essential to have one of each).

Why?

The photographic one is obviously more 'realistic' and also gives additional visual information as to the typical local habitat/environment surrounding each species.

However ...

The hand-drawn version has benefits in terms of identification, as the illustrator is able to highlight and/or exaggerate key features of the plant which may not be so clear on a photograph.

With both of them in hand, you really can't go wrong!

G :)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide: Ordered! :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump Can't wait. 7£ for the book. 3£ in Postage. :eek:):

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Yiha... it arrived today and it certainly looks good! :D Not much new info, but in a much better format and with better pictures and diagrams. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE