Cesar's bark canoe video online

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
http://beta.nfb.ca/film/Cesar_et_son_Canot_d_ecorce/

This is the best, greatest, most wonderfully inspiring woody film I have ever seen. Filmed in 1971 an old Cree goes through all the processes of making a birch bark canoe. I only have it on VHS and it seems not to be available on DVD but here it is for free online. 57 minutes, enjoy.

PS thanks to Jojo for the link first posted in the crook knives thread, I think it is worth putting up here on its own.

rancid badger

http://beta.nfb.ca/film/Cesar_et_son_Canot_d_ecorce/

This is the best, greatest, most wonderfully inspiring woody film I have ever seen. Filmed in 1971 an old Cree goes through all the processes of making a birch bark canoe. I only have it on VHS and it seems not to be available on DVD but here it is for free online. 57 minutes, enjoy.

PS thanks to Jojo for the link first posted in the crook knives thread, I think it is worth putting up here on its own.

It is fantastic, I would love a copy but they don't do dvd's of it. I wonder if you can buy a download version?
inspirational in extremis!
nice one Robin;)
cheers
R.B.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I found that video confusing. How could he possibly do all that without a full tang, scandi ground knife, which, as everyone knows, is required for bushcraft? :confused: Just imagine the canoe he could have built if he'd had the proper knife. ;)

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
He did have a crook though, kind of evens the odds...

I once heard from someone that a good craftsman can make something beautiful with whatever tools they're using.

Lovely video, I most enjoyed watching something un-narrated.How relaxing it made it, even enough to soothe my crying 7 month old son, he was rapt!

Filmography at its best I think, in that it couldn't be any better told in any other medium.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
That was my favorite part. :lmao: That and the dog climbing the ladder. :lmao:

The dog was cool. I did like it when he misplaced his crooked knife under the sheathing too:) . Nice touch to leave it in the film.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The dog was cool. I did like it when he misplaced his crooked knife under the sheathing too:) . Nice touch to leave it in the film.

That was good too. :)

Maybe some folks will recall Ray Mears video on building a birch bark canoe. That guy used a slip joint knife as well. ;)

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Excellent Video form a down to earth man with exceptional skills and more or less a dying art, his massive hands confident and ooze's with lifetime bushcraft skills, at 67 a real pro at his best. 100 out 100 for 67 years old CESAR NEWASHISH building a a canoe a la maniere attikamek. with an axe, simple croof knife and a handdrill, what more do you want when one is gifted! and its free.
thanks Jojo and Robin Wood.
regards
the interceptor boy.

forestwalker

I just got a mail from them; movies are EUR 24.95 each + shipping (EUR 10 for the first and EUR 5 for each additional movie). They have both the Ceasars's canoe and the Cree Hunter one I mentioned another thread. Quite tempted...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE