Building a modern version of a birch bark canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have come across this website recently. It is about the culture of the Innu nation.

In particular it's well worth watching this video on building a modern version of the birch bark canoe, using traditional methods but also use some modern materiel, in particular the PVC coated canvas these clever people used for the skin. I think it's what gets used as table cloth.

I have tried to embed the video here, but can't manage it, perhaps because it's not a youtube video, I don't know how to do it. If anyone can do it please do so!

The 10 1/2 minutes video shows you all the steps taken to build the canoe, the very few hand tools used, how to use the Crooked knife (One of my favourite hand tool) using an axe, how to thin the planks in situ in the canoe without cutting the skin open and so on. There are also other videos, one on gathering the materiels and another short one showing the canoe getting it bottom wet for the first time. These people are the ultimate Bush Crafters in my opinion.

There are other videos too but I haven't watched them yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE