Ceramic kitchen knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Probably not the right place and you will send me off to BB...

It's time to start phasing out some of my old cook's knives and I'm loking at the Kasumi ceramics.

Just one question...how the heck do you sharpen something that hard...or is the assumption that they will never get blunt.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Probably not the right place and you will send me off to BB...

It's time to start phasing out some of my old cook's knives and I'm loking at the Kasumi ceramics.

Just one question...how the heck do you sharpen something that hard...or is the assumption that they will never get blunt.

Would of thought a diamond stone would sharpen them,,,,

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have you considered the Japanese laminated kitchen knives? Some come with VG10 core and stainless Damascus on the sides, others have a core of either Blue or White Hitachi steel and plain sides. I bought one of the Ice Bear laminated knives from Axminster for myself and have been pretty happy with it. It takes a very good edge and holds it well, although it isn't quite as sharp as the Murray Carter I bought my dad :rolleyes:

I considered the ceramics, I have diamond hones and wasn't too worried about them breaking since I haven't dropped any of my steel knives so don't expect that to be a problem. In the end I just liked the idea of something with a little more character.

Some people might well treat ceramics as if they will never get blunt. I am always amazed at how dull most folks will let their kitchen knives get. I have seen some where it hardly matters which side of the blade you use! I have also met otherwise savvy people who think that the TiNi coated blades never dull and cannot be sharpened (both incorrect). It only stands to reason that many that buy ceramic knives do so because they know nothing about sharpening and want something that will take a long time before getting dull :p

If you get some, do a little review:D I am sure folks would be interested!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE