Centennnial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As I didn't want to hi-jack a thread " Northern Wilderness" I was wondering if any other members here or abroad remembered the 1978 series "Centennial"? Based on the novel of the same name by James Michener it started in Coarado in the mid 1700's, though the book started way earlier. What caught my attention as a kid were the fur trapper's like Pasquinel. He mixed with the indians and lived the life I so wanted to live as a kid. ( I always played an Indian when playing cowboys and Indians as a nipper ). Going 'round to see it at my Gran and Grandads was a bit of an event, and I so wanted to go there and live the life. Watching Mr. Mears' series has resparked it all over again I must say. I think that old series may have been one of the defining points in my childhood, it sparked me on to read as much as I could about the subject and may in part be one of the reasons I love bushcraft to this day - well that and "Grizzly Adams" and "Jeremiah Johnson" - which was the first film I ever saw in a cinema. Wayyyyyy back in 1972.
Just wondered what others thought. memories and influences were.
GB.

C

czbohunk

Looking at it right now DVD box set, saw it and had to have it.

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
I agree, my wife and i are planning on gonig off the grid when our son goes of to uni in a few years. we plan on living a simpler life syle but not forgoing all modern trappings ie computer freezer etc. just perhaps a modern version of the early settlers. J johnson is one of my fav films too, cant remember seeing centennial must keep an eye out for it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for posting folks, it's good to hear what inspired us all and what our aspirations are.
Czbohunk, hope you enjoy the box set, I'm holding off till I'm sure my DVD drive will play a region 1 disk, though I really hanker after it. From my hopefully not too rose tinted memory I think you'll enjoy it a lot.
Woodwatcher, Wow where do you and the misses hope to drop off of the grid too? Would love to drop off again, but money/comitments are stopping me for now, would love to hear of your adventures.
TTFN for now.
GB.

C

czbohunk

I watched it with my mother when it was on tv so I must have been 15 or 14 .
Last year her and one of my sisters came down here for Chirstmas while staying at another sisters house I stopped by and we all watched it over the holidays everyday. When we got done I said well I'll take it back home my Mother said "it's mine now and let's see you take from me" so I let her take it home later that year she went in to the hospita tol get a knee replaced and I went back home to see her and I got it back, so don't tell her ok.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Well I've seen the firsrt 2 episode and I like it.

Yes the accents are bad and the fake beards are really bad but on the whole it looks like it should be a fun watch.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Goatboy sir,
I bid you thanks!
This is the TV series I watched as a youngster & which inspired me so much.
I'd forgotten what it was called & had been searching the internet in vain for the title.
Along with "My side of the Mountain" probably the most inspiring thing on TV in 70's/80's.
:You_Rock_

Hi Labrador,

Though my memory is good ( my Brother who's six years older keeps asking me how I remember "... all this c++p") I'm afraid I couldn't remember the name of the series. I just spent a whiles on the internet putting in things I could remember, eventually "Pasquinel" - well a close approximation, and the rough airing date paid off.

Glad it was of use to you, that program, Grizzley Adams and the first film I ever saw in a cinema "Jerimiah Johnson" - I was about three - and sat in total rapture seemingly have been big players in my life. Recently the first half of "Seraphim Falls" and some of the scenes in "Open Range" as well as the premis of "City Slickers" have spured me on to get back to a simpler way of life at some point soon.

Glad I brought back some good memories to some of you, always nice to hear of joint memories.

Cheers again and for you folks that don't know what I'm talking about Youtube has some wee clips of most of these.

TTFN
Goatboy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE