cats and mixi...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Both of our cats have collars, the type with an elastic panel so that they don't get hung up.

I second what others have already said; feed them well, play with them and they tend not to go out hunting (as much!).

When our 2 were kittens, we had collars with bells on. We took the bells off though as they really seemed to drive the cats mad.

On the subject of fleas, we have over the years picked up a few tips - mainly from different vets:

• When you change the old flea collar, cut it into short lengths (stored in a safe place) and put pieces in your vacuum bag. They are still effective enough to kill eggs at close range!
  • We use "flea foggers" to treat the entire house, twice a year. These give protection against all stages of the flea life cycle.
  • Make sure you treat all pets in the household - even the rabbit / guinea pigs that live outdoors.

Simon

May 27, 2009
wiltshire
when my cat had a collar with a bell when it was hunting it used to silence the collar between is chin and chest by holding its head down, so I ended up tieing one to its tail! It worked and never got caught!

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I also wonder whether the boom in the grey squirrel population has a more pronounced effect on bird populations as I have heard that they often eat the eggs before they even get a chance to hatch, it may be incorrect but given the plethora of grey´s around me I often wonder whether a stealthy cull might be a good idea?

Providing you can despatch them humanely it's always a good idea to kill off a grey. You will be doing our birds and our Reds a big favour. Like American crayfish, they wreak havoc and just don't belong here.
Don't know what can be done about the cat problem but at least it's usually only abundant garden birds they get a hold of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE