Catapults!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I was reading A-Z Dryad Bushcraft Blog, on using a catapult.

I had a black widow when I was a kid and I'd forgotten how much fun they are.

So I got one for the hell of it and have been messing around with it. :eek:

Which one do you use?

I got this one, birch multiplex, double theraband gold, the balls I cast from scrap lead, weigh 10 grams each, 12mm.

Just been plinking with it a bit. They're great fun and surprisingly powerful.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I got this from Bloodstone catapults. Just doing a review for it. It's one of those catties that you find by accident and can hit everything you aim at with ease naturally. I'm really impressed. It's set up for the more upright traditional Western style hammer grip shooting than that weird sideways stuff everyone seems to do.

It's a Dankung Pocket Sniper.

http://www.catapults.co/pocket_sniper.html

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I use the JoergSprave Rambone with double theraband gold and 10mm steel ball bearings, like yours mine is an over the top slinger unlike our old Black Widows (still got mine somewhere) which shot through the arms but almost any catty will do a good job and be very powerful with the DTG attached

[video=youtube;AbthbrLtKRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbthbrLtKRA[/video]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wow. That looks seriously impressive Jon. I'll look forward to the review.

That looks like a beast Rob. I introduced my 3 year old nephew Simon today, to the bald bavarian, on youtube, then showed him my catapult.

His Mum was not best pleased, but he did put down spiderman for short time.. :lmao:

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Every time i watch a Jorge video i am left smiling from ear to ear and full of mad ideas for homemade launchers for random household objects (incase of zombiepocalapse)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

An old milbro, but with modern bands. I like to plink and I find single band 25mm theraband gold is just right for me. I usually fire 8mm steel as its cheap and should i need to plug something in the face of is capable at very close range - I.e stupid rabbits at spitting distance.!

I say b******s to fancy designs, rig and all that. Its all about good elastic and true instinct! The rest is elementary.

Nice to see other peoples cattys, though.

Reminds me.. I need to order more theraband, a new cutter and a lead mold.. I've got a fat load of lead and no means of making my own shot!

Keep safe and shoot straight, my friends!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's crazy how much some companies charge just for a fork/handle, this is what drew me to the Rambone at £28 including delivery with the DTG attached, just buying the theraband gold rubber can get costly enough these days.

Loving the Milbro and aviator shades combo Samon

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's crazy how much some companies charge just for a fork/handle, this is what drew me to the Rambone at £28 including delivery with the DTG attached, just buying the theraband gold rubber can get costly enough these days.

Loving the Milbro and aviator shades combo Samon

Yep elastic does cost, but the good stuff means the difference between shooting well and flopping shots!

And thanks, that's my general gear for walking the pooch! Ready for any eventuality!

Pm me your address, I'll send you a mold down. I dont need three, and I only paid for one.

Wow! That's incredibly generous of you. Pm on its way!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, it is really isnt it.... Im not unlike a superhero really am I? Meh

I'll send you the bent one. :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Went out today for a walk in the woods and had a few practise shots with my Chief AJ . "gansta shooter"

I'm a big fan of Jorgen Sprave , but you know a dude is mental when he blows away a bottle o Lagavulin, and I'm not talking a empty bottle.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
So it was not the knife launching repeater that convinced you he was mental, or the multiple versions of a gatling gun or the catapult that could only be beaten in power of impact by the Dirty Harry magnum 45 handgun? But smashing a bottle of plonk and he is mad in your eyes, I guess madness is a bit like beauty and is in the eye of the beholder :lmao:I was convinced after watching one of the many pencil repeater guns filling a watermelon with a 100 pencils in 20 seconds, then worried for my own sanity at how much i wanted to make one

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Yup maybe the machete thrower should have been a bit of a clue , but a 30 quid bottle of Whisky, that's just wrong.
Ps cheers just of to watch the pencil and melon vid haven't seen that one, sounds like a classic Sprave...

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
This is the one i have to keep telling myself not to construct

[video=youtube;aDy2A2IbanA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDy2A2IbanA[/video]

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
This is my current set up:

imagejpg1_zps247a99d3.jpg

Pinky poacher - birch multiplex- though the book rather fitting with the name of the catty. I use an antler one I made myself and a side holder- but this is just the one I'm using now. Shoots pretty accurate and darn powerful. Liking your set up Dave! :)

Oh and it's just a photo- doesn't mean anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE