Catapult Advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but i am after a bit of advice on choosing a catapult.

I would like to get one for use whilst camping and generally when outdoors (in a safe environment to do so) but am unsure of a few things.
This will be primarily for target plinking with a possibility of hunting dependant on how proficient i can become (i know this can be a contentious subject).

I have been looking at the milbro pocket style catapults as i want something small and lightweight, not like the barnet diablo i used in my youth, but am getting confused over the type and style of bands to use.

So far google has come up with flat bands (which look complicated to use), tubular bands, square bands? etc... some seem to use a single band or a looped double band or even triple bands.

What i would like to know is can anyone recomend a fairly budget catapult that uses a single band (the less compolicated the better), i have been looking at the milbro pro shot aluminium slim for about £18 but this is without bands and their website does not state which are required, with any first hand knowledge you might have.

I have also been looking at the fairly cheap ones on fleabay but have no idea about quality and consitency.

I hope this kind of make sense.

Cheers, HH

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
How do matey! John Webb (gamekeeper catapults) sells his catapults on the E of the Bay now and again, they are under £20 and if i remember correctly he will fit single bands if you ask. or there is "bells of hythe" who sell more traditional style cattys but they are more expensive, they have a different types and strengths of elastic for sale aswell! I have a catty from both and they are both well made! No association etc etc, just a happy customer!

Cheers

Jon

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Bought a brass Jorg Sprave commission Howitzer from Milbro, weighs a fair bit and would probably not recommend something this heavy for lugging about. The Gamekeeper catapults seem OK and the flat bands seem to be very popular.

What are your DIY skills like? Catties are very easy to make if you have a bit of ply and something to cut out the shape. Flat band sets are a couple of quid and are easy to install - look on youtube, loads of vids.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE