Cat Cure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Tengu said:
Oh, so you catch all your own mice then?

No, although there a smidgeon of sense in what I said, it was more of an excuse to get the doorstep gag out, couldn't resist it!

Towns do suck tho. They are in fact primitive places to live and sensorially impoverished.

One day we'll have hi-tech ways of living with nature and not against it, we'll have movable houses which can be sited in the jungle canopy, or a clifftop on the edge of a magnificent ocean. We'll be able to move with the seasons, and prolong our lives allowing us to learn more between successive incarnations.

We will become more aware of the biocosmic processes within the planet and learn how to move with the earth's dynamics and they will no longer be regarded as catastrophies but observed with awe and wonder. We will work togeather to eliminate suffering and welcome the newborn into a world prepared to recieve them with love, wisdom and sensitivity.

We will have no religion but our lives will directly and corageously experince the awesome mystery of life itself, religion having been our old way of protecting our petrified psyches from the terrifying truth of an unpredictable cosmos.

Something like that anyway! :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I know this might sound like rocket science to those who can think of nothing better to do with their time than torture cats but if you go into your local garden centre/B&Q/Focus whatever you can find several products that are quite an effective cat deterant.
From memory theres one called something like "Get Off My Lawn" (I have used that one and its pretty good IMO) and theres several pepper based ones out there.
I have heard that they don't like mothballs (naptha) either but have never tried it to offer an opinion.

Anyway, if you read the instructions its not hard to use the avaliable products and theres no need to get all sadistic and practice your mangle dangle tangle or strangle techniques on some unsuspecting moggy :rolleyes:

Even if you "train" :rolleyes: one cat, theres plenty more that will be quite willing to come into your garden and lay lovely cat eggs there so just deter the lot of them.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Sometimes it's not a question of "get off my towny lawn" :confused: . Sometimes its get out of my woodland habitat containing Schedule 1 listed species etc. :cool:

The point is people who want nothing to do with cats shouldn't be experiencing the inconveniences and costs ascosiated with them. That is for their owners end of story!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't agree with any form of animal cruelty, but I certainly do agree that the selfish attitude of cat owners who believe its appropriate to allow their pet to defacate where children play is mind numbing in it selfish stupidity and cruelty (to those children). If they can't control their pets better than that, they shouldn't have them.

As for the cats killing protected species, farmed animals, fish etc., thats a different matter and the cat is then covered by the same laws as dogs that are sheep worrying with all that is covered by those laws

Red

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I started this thread for two reasons. The first was to find a cheap ecological approach to dealing with a problem that has plagued man for many decades, I'm sure!

The second was to get the disgusting shock of it off my chest, and if I'm honest I still see red when I think about it. I've also admitted to a flash of anger from my wife when she found several offering to the Cat God in our veggie patch. A patch built for the kids and an outburst initiated by my, then, 3 year old putting his hands in a particularly unpleasant sample. Having just asked her now she admits to not being proud of her self for it.

There have been a number of suggestions that would break the law, let alone stretch it. Personally, I've taken these as an attempt at humour and personally I've found most of them funny. But that is an issue for my psychiatric nurse and not for the board to discuss. I personally can't imagine anyone on this forum would actually harm a cat and if they did I would take the 2 minute walk from my house to the RSPCA National Headquarters and turn them in myself.

I personally have some very strong feelings about responsibility within ones community and this extends to pet owners, what ever the pet, and what they allow them to do. I had not intended this to turn into a thread adopted by those wishing to attack the character and intelligence of their fellow members.

If you have the money to throw around treating a blight on the community at large, let alone my door step, and you wish to pass judgement on Society and provide social commentary can I ask that you start your own thread. In the mean time please can we return too the cheap and in-genius, oh yes and the funny.

Thanks.

P

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Maybe some ingenious way of rigging one of those "infra red automatic turn the lights on thingys" with a normal garden sprinkler system would work, and it would also stop you needing to put a 24 hour guard on your garden. Cats hate water, so any way of getting them wet would work, and it's hardly cruel. Eventually, it would learn to go somewhere else, so make sure you have all of your bases covered!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was wondering about that. We have the native cat, felix sylvestris, a beautiful but determinedly standoffish creature, and the *introduced so long ago it belongs* British shorthair, the Manx, etc., I reckon they are part of our natural environment.
I know my cat hunts; mice, voles, baby rats, she tries for frogs but they squeal like you wouldn't believe and she backs off. Very rarely does she get a bird. I, on the other hand, feed a fortunes worth of bird food all year around to our feathered friends. I'm trying to help keep more alive because there's food, than my cat takes out in a year. So far I think I'm winning.
I live next to a scraggly woodland of great variety if not substantial age (it used to be the land along side a mineral railway line that supplied the Victorian gasworks) that runs parallel to a burn. I frequently go walkabout with the moggie, I don't think Tamsin ever goes further than 100m from the house. I have checked, none of my neighbours are bothered by her, ( their dogs are, but that's another story :rolleyes: ) or her toilet habits, since she uses the soft ash of the old railway track sides where it's too steep for anyone to want to go. Why shouldn't I let my cat out ? :confused: I don't see any problem.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
spamel said:
Maybe some ingenious way of rigging one of those "infra red automatic turn the lights on thingys" with a normal garden sprinkler system would work, and it would also stop you needing to put a 24 hour guard on your garden. Cats hate water, so any way of getting them wet would work, and it's hardly cruel. Eventually, it would learn to go somewhere else, so make sure you have all of your bases covered!

Exactly like this then :lmao:

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/

Red

Perhaps an over-dose of Celine Dion - it appears to have petrified this cat sufficiently! :lmao:

Cat_1.gif

Reactions: spamel

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
TallMikeM said:
does anyone have any objective and scientific evidence that cats are a major cause of wildlife decline in the UK. Even the RSPB say not so. linky

Unfortunately the RSPB depends upon the goodwill and donations of many cat owners so naturally their policy doesn't include telling the truth about cats.Political reality. I worked with/for them for a year they didn't like cats.
Naturally the decline in bird numbers is not down to cats...but that's not the point. One bird killed by a fully fed moggy because it's let loose around the neighbourhood is one too many surely. :confused:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Dam, Dam, Dam I thought Spammel had made me a fortune there ;) . Dude be more original next time! :lmao:

I guess this could be a bit hypocritical but I don't mind cats being out and about and had always thought that all being equal, the natural world can cope with the loss of what ever the cat kills, after all England has seen bigger predators come and go of the years of it's history. I've even been known to drop to a knee for a quick stroke of a passing feline.

Right to roam yes, why shouldn't they but you should, make toilet provision for them don't you agree. An example would be friends of ours who have a couple of cats, both cats were trained with a litter tray. I use the word train, but can a cat be trained the votes note in for me on that. Anyway, their cats go out in the morning and are brought in at night. When they are out they use an outdoor litter tray which has a sort of covered roof area and when they are in side they use the tray indoors.

Now I'm not saying that all of their offerings are made in these trays, after all cats appear in to many horror films for some of the myths not to be true, but the point is that they are taking all reasonable steps to ensure that their pets are provided for.

I guess this goes back to Toddy's good idea of sand in an area of the garden or her cat using an inaccessible area covered in ash.

Personally I love cat's I just couldn't eat a whole one! :rolleyes: Sorry couldn't resist!

P

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh and to quantify my earlier comments, we have a cat it has a litter tray and it comes into the house to use the it.
Someone elses cat used to come into out backyard till the our dog moved in and now we just end up with dog eggs instead :rolleyes:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Montivagus said:
Unfortunately the RSPB depends upon the goodwill and donations of many cat owners so naturally their policy doesn't include telling the truth about cats.Political reality. I worked with/for them for a year they didn't like cats.
Naturally the decline in bird numbers is not down to cats...but that's not the point. One bird killed by a fully fed moggy because it's let loose around the neighbourhood is one too many surely. :confused:

that'll be a no then.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
pibbleb said:
I had not intended this to turn into a thread adopted by those wishing to attack the character and intelligence of their fellow members.

If you have the money to throw around treating a blight on the community at large, let alone my door step, and you wish to pass judgement on Society and provide social commentary can I ask that you start your own thread.

Sorry, did I miss something? :confused:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
sxmolloy said:
I often wonder about that, maybe chemicals have been removed from the food in the last few decades :confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about such wierd matters :rolleyes: :D

Came up in TRUTH by T Pratchett Esq. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE