Cat Cure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
the lady next door has had a string of bad luck including her husband walking out on her and her two kids, so me being an bottom about number two's is probably the last thing that she needs.

I'm surprised to about the event but I'm starting to wonder whether it's not been well. This said, it's not behaviour I wish to encourage!

Toddy the sand idea is very good, but if I'm honest I don't see that it's my job to train the cat or indeed provide it with a toilet, however, perhaps I do need to have a gentle chat with the said neighbour. What really annoys me is that I'm being left to clear up after someone else's pet, whether it's the front or back garden and I personally consider it irresponsible to not provide toilet facilities for your own creatures. Two kids playing in a garden teaming with cat crap and what ever bacteria it contains just winds me up big style. That said in a lucid moment I realise there is probably little I can do about their behaviour and a problem that has pestered man for years!

I like the orange peel idea and think I'll give that a go first.

Guys love the photo's though, but you think you'd make sure the shaved cats booties would be the same size.

P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Pibbleb, I ought to have made myself clear; I meant it wouldn't break your neighbour's bankbook to buy a bag of sand, and at that price she ought to have no call to moan. Surely there's some corner of the garden where her pet can *go*.
With children in the garden too though, I think I'd invest in one of those petloo things that gets dug into the garden and decomposes the dirt, as well. Actually, that's probably why the cat favours your garden, no kids pestering it.

It's fun trying to outsmart the moggie, now if I could just persuade mine to sleep through the night :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Toddy, having re-read your reply I got the wrong end of the stick so sorry for that. I've never heard of the pet loo thing though, that sounds like a good idea that I may, for the long term, investigate.

My kids like the first idea of the water pistol so I think they are expecting to build and equip an armoury tomorrow, looks like my weekend is going to be busy! :lmao: :BlueTeamE

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Wasn't white poo just dried out after not being cleared up. Now we are all good citizens and clear up after ourselves and pooches it jut doesn't get chance to turn white anymore.

P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you know I asked that question not so long ago on the forum, and the answer I got was that the white was caused by all the calcium 'cos every dog in the land got a bone from the butcher every few days. I don't think you can ask for a bone for the dog at the supermarket meat counters now, can you?
I know I used to think our collies had teeth that could crunch a dinsosaur; they loved the big knuckle joint of the hip, and a cracked open marrow bone would keep them occupied for hours.........my big bother flumoxed one of them once; he stuck a half chewed toffee to the roof of the dog's mouth.........ever seen a dog holding it's muzzle down with both paws as it tried to get it's tongue up to sook out the toffee? It drooled sticky stuff everywhere :rolleyes: he finally finished the toffee and then went looking frantically for more. :D he looked like his tail was wagging his body. :lmao:

Cheers,
Toddy

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Toddy said:
D'you know I asked that question not so long ago on the forum, and the answer I got was that the white was caused by all the calcium 'cos every dog in the land got a bone from the butcher every few days. I don't think you can ask for a bone for the dog at the supermarket meat counters now, can you?

Thanks for clearing that up (pun intended!)

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Toddy said:

the truth is somewhat less prosaic. They used to put ash into dog food to bulk it out but legislation means they no longer can. Consequenly the use more meat (or animal product anyway) so the poo is now a more natural colour and presaumably the pooches slightly healthier for it.

As for those who advocate acts of violence against other people pets that are about 10% of their size, does it make you feel like a man when you do it? :confused:

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
I know that my neighbours don't like my cats - we went through a phase of the cats pooing in their plant pots. The neighbours rightly got annoyed about it and once I found out I was mortified and promptly volunteered to clean it up. I also suggested they use a water pistol as a harmless deterrent.

My point is if the owner doesn't know there is a problem, how can they sort it? I know it's naive to think all owners are responsible but it's always better to try and talk about it rather than building up resentment and possibly doing something you'll later regret.

Emotions can run very high where pets are concerned. Posting poo is a very bad idea...

And like them or not, cats do have the right to roam in this country

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You could always give it a bath.... :lmao: :D

1. Thoroughly clean toilet.

2. Lift both lids and add shampoo.

3. Find and soothe cat as you carry him to bathroom.

4. In one swift move, place cat in toilet, close both lids and stand on top, so cat cannot escape.

5. The cat will self agitate and produce ample suds. (Ignore ruckus from inside toilet, cat is enjoying this)

6. Flush toilet 3 or 4 times. This provides power rinse, which is quite effective.

7. Have someone open outside door, stand as far from toilet as possible and quickly lift both lids.

8. Clean cat will rocket out of the toilet and outdoors, where he will air dry.

Sincerely,
The Dog

I know that cats are not very fond of all kinds of oil odours, olbas, peppermint, and citrus to name three. A little of that in the porch might act as a discouragement :confused:

H

Heathenpeddler

Re the white dog poo - yep, our back lawn often has white ones on it, our local butchers leaves a tray of bones outside for people to help themselves. They can't sell them but they can give them away :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
loads of white pepper works for me when i want to keep my cat out of some bit of the garden.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
To quote P.J.O’Rourke “It's easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats are mean for the fun of it.”

If you own a cat and let it out of your house you know full well it will be causing a nuisance to your neighbours so don’t kid yourself you don’t know your cat is a problem to someone. You can take it as read that it is a problem and hence your decision to let it run about shows a complete lack of respect for your neighbours, nothing else. To avoid your cat causing problems keep it in your house.

As for a cat’s freedom to roam this isn’t some directed legislation; merely an oversight in current legislation that needs changing. Dogs can’t roam and their fouling the street is an offence…..why on earth is this not the case for cats, especially as they additionally take a toll on wildlife that is totally unacceptable given the current scarcity of many predated species. I say predated though of course this normally applies to killing for eating, a thing most pampered moggies patently do not do. A thing that hunts and torturously kills without a nutritional need…..what goes around comes around! :D

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
If we (humans) hadn't been so keen to concrete over everything, and domesticate animals which would be better left wild, we might not have this problem at all.

Looks like we've sh@t on our own doorsteps! :D

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Ok guys I had been hoping for something a little easier than re-educating society on the environmental issues of domesticating wildlife!

But in for a penny in for a pound I'll give it a go cheers! :rolleyes:

Pib

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
pibbleb said:
Ok guys I had been hoping for something a little easier than re-educating society on the environmental issues of domesticating wildlife!

But in for a penny in for a pound I'll give it a go cheers! :rolleyes:

Pib

:lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE