Casual Ventile jacket.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, I've been burning the candle at both ends to get this ventile jacket finished. The jacket is style on the Gorka pattern that i made my wool/ventile coat from. I have leftout the reinforceing panels and the arm pockets to give it a more casual look. I have left all panels full lenght as to keep the stitching to a min (more hole's more water to come inside, thats just my way) . The main front zip i had a problem with ,my sewing machine would not go though all the cloth ,so the lady who done the main panels on my tent put it in for me and we had a little chat .;)

img1449y.jpg

img1450e.jpg

Thankyou for looking
All comments welcome
Cheers Topknot

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great stuff as ever Topknot,
If you have time at the moot I'd like some critique on my creation - I'm having issues with hoods and necklines.

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice work as ever Andy - very stylish. I find myself whistling "my generation" for some reason :)

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Sorry Tony, did not mean it to be a sale thread.

Ogri the trog, if we can find one another , no probs with that mate.

Dougster mate, i like a little challenge in life if someone made it by hand i'll give it my best shot, i'm a bit monkey see monkey do.

Thank you all for the comments
Topknot

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Very nice indeed Topknot.
Which fabric is that, single layer L24?
And which colour is it? It looks perfect for mark 2 of my trousers.

T

TwistedPath

That's very very impressive, you have a very good eye! What kind of machine did you use?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Andy,

I'm liking that!

Hmmm....interesting....my mind is click-whirring at the moment as I have an idea (Daffy-taffy plan). We seem to concentrate a lot on making jackets...now, do you think it would be relatively easy to make a set of ventile overtrousers?

I'm thinking of a simple trouser, probably no hip pockets (too difficult - but maybe velcro slits to reach hip-pockets when being used as overtrousers). Possible rear seat-pocket or cargo pocket on thigh. Drawcord waist - and/or simple, wide belt loops - and velcro fly (or no fly?) to keep it simple. Relatively loose fit so it could be used either as overtrousers in cold/damp weather, or on their own in milder weather. Maybe drawcord legs and velcro slit so they can be put on over boots.

I guess it might be an idea to take apart an old pair of trousers that fit me well and copy the panels.

Could I ask (Andy specifically but anyone in general):

a. Where you sourced the cloth from?

b. How easy/hard was the material to work with? You mention it was difficult to sew the zip - how many layers were you sewing through and was it a standard sewing machine?

c. Any top tips on leaving additional material at the seams, stitch type, reinforcement, needle type?

Shep,

Are you looking at something similar? How has your design/build gone? Any big issues?

Cheers,

Mike

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ogri the trog, if we can find one another , no probs with that mate.
Topknot

No probs,
When you see someone walking around in a stone coloured smock and you think to yourself - "that looks amateur, and I would have made the hood a different shape!"..... that'll be me :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Ogri the trog, like wise mate. Stone coloured smock and you think to yourself - "that looks amateur . If its your first smock its not amateur its a learning pattern / thing ( like soldering Yorkshire fittings ).

The ventile is a single layer of L24 in Antique bronze, the sewing machine is old and came of a car boot sale. The front zip bit i had to go through 7 layers ie: front panel turn over 2 layer, flap over zip turn over 2 layer, zip 1 , back panel turn over 2 layer.
As to trouser, well ? maybe one day.
Leaving additional material at the seams , i do not have a overlock stitching machine for the egde's so i rolled them instead i'll put a pic up to show.

Cheers Topknot

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've made a pair of overtrousers. They came out very nicely and were much easier to make than my jacket. I used single-layer L24, put on cargo pockets, bum and hip pockets all based on a pattern I found online.

I want to make another pair as these are loose to be used as overtrousers, but the ventile is perfectly comfortable next to skin. The next pair are just going to be regular trouser cut.

I also made the first pair out of leftover fabric from my jacket (charcoal grey), which makes me look like a loser when I wear both together! :)

I got my fabric from Talbot Weaving (ask for seconds for a better price).

Topknot, have you got a couple of metres leftover by any chance?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE