Castnet fishing in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Not sure if this belongs here or in "Fair Game" - mods, feel free to move it. ;)

Anybody know much about castnet fishing? Is it legal in the UK, and if so, is it worthwhile? What species would you be likely to catch?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Not sure if this belongs here or in "Fair Game" - mods, feel free to move it.
oops, missed this one..... its now moved ;) sorry.....

And to answer your question, you can fish with a net on freshwater but you need to have a license.

....but.....

The only problem is that these licenses for netting are never (as far as i know) given to members of the public. They are issued to fisheries workers and scientist/ecologists for their work. They (nets) are far too effective to be opend to the public.... and you could easily catch or trap a non target species which is a big 'NO' ....

So basicly from our bushcraft point of view, no you can't use nets on any fresh inland water.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.... I must have missed this thread :11doh:
:)
Ed

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
No worries Ed, thanks for the info...

What about sal****er fishing from the beach?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I know alot of places that allow nets to be used, but I'm not sure if its common all around the UK. Law on fishing nets from the beach is a little vague (I can find the laws on using nets from boats) but I can't specificly find anything that bans it.... thats not to say you can.... I just can't find anything that says you can't. Probably best to contact your local authoratory for advice.

Also note the the currant laws on sea fishing are under review. They are looking to bring them in line with fresh water laws including rod licenses so what ever the law says at the moment it is likely to change in the not too distant future....

Sorry... not much help.

:(
Ed

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Hugh Fearnley Whittanstall had some net fishing from the shore on one of the River Cottage episodes - big net anchored at one end and towed own and down the beach then hauled in - catch was mackeral IIRC

Kane

PS probably worth asking on the River Cottage forums

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
gregorach said:
Thanks for trying guys. :)

In one of Para Handy's exploits, Neil Munro has him nearly caught with, "a wee bit splashnet"....I believe PH and his fellow poachers were after the red fishes, or cauld iron ;) Anglers don't seem to have much time for those who treat fishing as a hunt for food rather than a pastime :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, it all goes back to the bleedin' Normans, doesn't it? Enclosure and all that - can't have people living off the land because then you can't tax 'em. Whereas the pastimes of the leisured (and taxing) classes are sacrosanct. Hence the creation of the New Forest...

Oops, verging on politics there... Funny how it never really changes, eh? ;)

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Many a time I have been canoe fishing an estuary with mullet bubbling all around me ignoring my bait. I know if I had a cast net I would clean up

The problem is that most estuaries the uses of nets in any form are illegal. There are exceptions in some for licensed commercial fishermen. A quick trawl and you will be able to find some case reports of commercial fishermen and others prosecuted for breaking these rules.

Apart from Estuaries and harbours for catching mullet and school bass, (which has a minimum size restriction) I can’t think of anywhere where a cast net would be very productive.

As has been mentioned Hugh Fernley used a seine net off the chisel to catch mackerel. These were big nets that needed many a hand plus boats to use and cost a fortune. I use a smaller 50m version on sandy beaches to catch sand eels for bait and If you are lucky the odd flatty too. As far as I am aware there are no legal issues with this. Again they are bulky and take at least two people to operate.

Den

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have seen small throw nets used on the box (although abroad) . Looks like quite a skill ,but i would imagine its still illeagal in salt water .
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE