castaway - appalling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
fred gordon said:
This is why the TV people make these horrible programmes - we react like this, talk about them, cause others to watch. There is no such thing as bad TV, only TV that people watch and that which they don't. If people stopped watching this stuff TV companies wouldn't make it. So the answer is...? :lmao:
Quite right. I watched the first episode in the hope that it would be interesting,
but it wasn't so I'll look elsewhere.

The first series, according to my memory, was very interesting so I watched
it more. At least the Trees that made Britain is back on our screens though!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
JohnC said:
http://www.specops.com/bio_m_hawke.htm
Hes been around... I havent seen the series, Bear Grylls is what we watch in our house :rolleyes:

Ok John C, i'll take the hit on that one. Put my hands up and step into the spotlight! His resume seems very impressive but you've got to see the guy in action, his codename may be 'Hawke' but it should be 'Hollywood'!

I've got to say, i would have preferred it if he had just stared 'Dick' Bacon out or growled at him, but, at the end of the day, i suppose he's employed as an advisor and not to intimidate facetious tv presenters! :nono:

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi
I seem to recall (ferreting around in the back of my memories) that the first Castaway series at least had an element of social experiment to it and the folk were supposed to be living there for quite a while (was it a year? - don't remember).

This program has been thouroughly 'Big Brothered' with a group of missfits specifically chosen by the production team to cause friction (aka 'Good TV' by those media types).

Hit the big red button after only a few minutes and skimmed back once or twice to see if it got better... apparently not! Too much like that celebrities in the jungle rubbish ("there are some tender crayfish in the stream but you can't eat them... have a kangaroo's testicle instead").

I would be straight out of camp to see what's in the trees and down to the beach to eat it watching thesunset!

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Come on guys, the first one was so bad it caused nausia: what with that Tattler editor now BBC "personality" going off to find himself and everyone carrying on like the anacho-syndicate scene from the holy grail. But you all thought it worth a second chance? When we moved to where we live now, the only way to get TV was to buy a didgi-box...we didn't. One of the best decisions ever. Sure I watch endless reruns of Ray or Uncle Ray as he is known to the kids on DVD and the video shop loves us but we watch what we want, when we want, pay no licence and we are saved from the evils of Children's TV advertising. It also means that you are not tempted to watch lowest common denominator, pseudo reality bilge courtesy of old aunty.

Steve

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd like to be able to keep my telly but not hook it up and not have to pay a licence. I'd happily watch DVDs all the time, as this sort of programme shows the IQ level has plummeted in the general population and I can do without the crap TV! If we actually got a say in what was shown, it wouldn't be too bad!!

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
That's pretty much what we did. The Dish is on the wall but there is no line into the house. The licence people got a bit funny at first but as I said to them "by all means send your man and if he can get a reception I'll pay. We have paid for years, we'd be pretty stupid to then think we could just stop and still get telly without getting clobbered". They didn't like it but at the end of the day you're paying for a service - it isn't a protection racket. I haven't heard from them in three years.

Stephen

spamel said:
I'd like to be able to keep my telly but not hook it up and not have to pay a licence. I'd happily watch DVDs all the time, as this sort of programme shows the IQ level has plummeted in the general population and I can do without the crap TV! If we actually got a say in what was shown, it wouldn't be too bad!!

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
Jedadiah said:
Hey Spamel,

do you have to pay the licence fee in Germany? I thought it'd just be SSVC and some dodgy local channels? Do you get Sky? :confused:

Yes we do pay a fee,and some of the channels show some good stuff.I have not seen this prog. but love the comments!
Interesting to note on the German first version of the Jungle Camp crap,one guy turned up,took one look at the canopy and binned it,"not what i expected,thought it would be a real survival camp".Maybe thats exactly what we should do with programmes like that.Someone some where will eventually get the message.

Years ago there was a survival docu. with Lofty Wiseman,and a group of people on a Scottish island.They apparently did not get out of there sleeping bags for the first 2-3 days,untill "motivated" by the instructors.Though on the docu it was said "that they had only spent one night in their bags,and slept in"!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I just think, as do most of you by the sounds of it, that programme making seems to be coming down to the lowest common denominator. It's a bit like a car crash, you know it's wrong, you know you should'nt, but you just cannot help yourself watching this scene of devastation unfolding before you.

It just seems to be a cross between 'Big Brother' and 'I'm a Celebrity'. Aunty Beeb appears to be a victim of Dumbing down.

I'm all for social experiments and yes, there is bound to be conflict, but i'm afraid i'm not a fan of animosity and aggrivation for the sake of it. If todays playstation generation who have been raised on a diet of 'shoot 'em up' games and reality based tv programmes promoting the cult of celebrity need this antagonistic style of production to be entertained, then it's no wonder they find it hard to integrate with society.

I read somewhere about the youth of today's attitude to firearms and weaponry. In the article a bunch of young lad's from Manchester were commenting on the fact that they needed to carry weapons so they are 'respected', Yet they have no self respect because they have not achieved anything in their lives.

They have no trade, interpersonal skills, aspirations or prospects, (by the way, i do not want to tar everyone with the same brush, of course not everyone is alike). This is one reason why i got into bushcraft. I feel that teaching youngsters about self sufficency will garner self respect for that individual. This in turn will promote teamwork and this goes hand in hand with interpersonal skills.

If a man comes on television and states 'If i go into a room with ten people in it, within five minutes, eight will hate me!' then i think that he might want to make more of an effort as well as the others who might make more of an effort to understand him.

Sorry about the rant, it's just the 'Long Haired Colonel' just says 'yes dear' everytime i start.

Oh, and if anyone thinks i should get out and meet more 'youths', i do volunteer work three times a week with under privaliged young people and young offenders! :rolleyes:

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Watched some of this. Not as good as the first series. I read over on BB that they were not even allowed to take a knife so the chance of any bushcraft skills being in evidence was pretty nil from the outset. Perhaps Auntie thought they would end up slicing off a finger or worse and have to "intervene". Quite a lot of noise on t'Internet about them being close to a public camp ground and the risk of campers wandering onto the set. In fact the whole thing is a lot of noise with very little signal to be found anywhere. Shame cos I enjoyed the first series :(

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE