Cast Ali Dutch Ovens, are they dishwasher safe

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi There,

Are cast Ali dutch ovens dishwasher/johnnytheboy safe? being the lazy toad that i am, i just wondered.

Fancy one for the canoe, i had a cast iron one but with the weight and the legs on the bottom, it was defo a recipe for putting a hole in the canoe. Besides it was only a matter of time before my absent mind left it out to rust for a full weekend or so.

I seen the cast ali ones and can only assume they are low maintenace, no need to season them and care for them lovingly every trip :)

Thanks again

John

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Yes mate. The stuff they are made out of is aluminium. it has a melting point of 660 degrees C. I dont think your dish washer will heat water much beyond 100 degree C.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
LOL, I guessed that, (credit me with some sense please :)) just wondering if it would do any surface damage or if you can treat it as a normal pot?

I bought a normal dutch oven and a black iron pan and they are just too much maintenace for me, plus my kitchen is kinda damp and they were showing signs of surface rust, just no good for my circumstances. I need to go down the ali and stainless route for outdoor cookwear.

I looked at the gsi stff and see they have a anodised one as well, anyone any experience with any of these ovens?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They'll be fine, and I agree with you on the cast iron stuff, I seal mine and store it in the shed between meet ups.
The only thing with aluminium in the dishwasher is the surface can get kind of oxidized......white dusty looking.
You'd be better just leaving it in the sink to soak and then giving it a quick scrub and wash out.
The dishwasher *will* remove any seasoning you manage to get onto the Dutch oven though.

atb,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup dishwasher safe, though if you have an anodised one it's like cast iron... and as such I wouldn't pop it in the evil dishwasher. Anodised aluminium is like seasoned cast iron. It's pretty much non stick if you don't use detergents on it. Mankind invented a soap that made us have to invent telfon coatings. If you season your anodised dutchy... hot water is all you'll need to wash it as nowt sticks. Pretty much a catch 22, wash it in detergent and you'll need it. Never had to use soap on mine, seasoned it and it's lovely... nothing sticks.
TTFN
GB
Dishwashers are evil.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Toddy thats what worrys me, i spend all day looking at aluminum cars that have oxidised, i.e. rust.

Cast iron = Rust and allot of maintance to keep seasoned
Cast Ali = Oxidisation
Anodised = same as cast iron

Maybe i'm just not meant to have one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Trust me on this.........I'm a housewife and have been for over thirty years, I've tried every kind, if you're not carrying it, stainless steel with a laminate base beats them all. :cool:

Easy kept, won't rust, the base spreads the heat evenly, and it helps keep the heat like cast iron too.

Might not be up there with cast iron and copper and enamelled this that and the other for the purists, but if all you really want is a damned good, fuss free pot that won't break the bank.......
Get thee to Instore, they're selling off the last of Woolworth's ones for £11.99. It's a good size, it's the right stuff and it's a bargain at that price. Failing that TJHughes have some whoppers for under £20 and Ikea is worth a look too.

I bought one to use as a dyebath and instead it's become the stew / soup pot for camping with a crowd. :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE