carving walking sticks help........?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 2, 2013
devon
Hi everybody,
I am very new to the whole bushcraft thing and i first gained my interest when i joined scouts,anyway. I have been reading through the DIY and traditional crafts threads recently and have seen how talented some people are.

So I have got a few hazel walking sticks cut ready to be hung up for seasoning. Basically what I am asking for is ideas on what to carve,the tools I may need to do it and also other woods that would be good to use or carve something else like spoons/figurines out of.

I would post pictures but I dont know how/if I can because I am not a full member yet

thanks in advance atb sophie

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Hi Sophie, and welcome to BCUK.

If you're interested in the carving side of things, a great little book that helped me get started with lots of little projects in is the 'Little Book of Whittling', which might be worth having a look at.

Tool wise, you can get by pretty easily to start with just a penknife, so long as it's sharp! As you progress you'd probably want to get more knives/tools depending on what you want to do.

Most hard woods are pretty good to carve, however you probably want to avoid some of the much harder ones such as oak to start. Woods like hazel and birch are good to carve, yet whatever is available to you really.

Have fun, atb :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE