Carving question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've just bought myself a copy of 'the little book of whittling' by Chris Lubkemann. I've also purchased a victorinox farmer along with it. In Chris's book however, he advises that 90% of all his carving is done with the small 1.5" blade on his SAK. The farmer does not have a small blade. Will I struggle carving with the bigger blade on the farmer and should I purchase a smaller bladed knife?

What do others use when carving?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I use a Mora 120 (57mm blade) for about 80% of all my carving and 100% of any fine detail carving

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
I also use the mora 106 and 120 as my main carvers but they are not legal edc th recriut is in my pocket every day perfect little whittler for around a tenner

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I carry mine in my kit when doing outdoorsy stuff, never thought once about legality as i am carrying it with good purpose and intended use

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
also flexcut are great blades. I use them and Also I have the same book. Great results with that pair

I was just reading this and thought "am I the only one that uses the flexcut blades?"

All of mine aren't foldable but I only use them at home anyway, obviously not very practical when you are limiting the amount you carry. None of mine are more then 1.5" and dont need to be. I am wanting to do some larger, less detailed stuff now so I am going to get a larger blade ( and to be a bit more traditional)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's an excuse to buy another knife! I got the eldest the same excellent book and as they were on offer at the time a couple of Spartans ( the one he recommended any way ) which I altered as he suggests. I think they were £7.50 a pop and we've ha a lot of fun with them.

atb

Tom

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I honestly don't like folding blades with the exception of opinel for carving. I also use the 122 and flexcuts carving jack for detail type stuff

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Certainly will do. I've Plummed for a schrade congress in the meantime. I carved a wooden knife today and most of the work was done with a hultafors hvk so I imagine I'll use a variety of tools. I would love a flex cut carving jack but they're a bit spendy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE