carving my first spoon tomorrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
I have some old mahogany and I am wanting to make a spoon out of it tomorrow on my day off. However the stuff is so hard it'll probably blunt my knife within seconds... does anyone know how to soften wood temporarily for carving or is it a case of downing a pint of 'man up' haha. cheers.

I'll post pictures sometime in the afternoon when i'am anticipating i'll be done.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ideally you'd use green wood for carving spoons and the like especially your first one :)

Once it's seasoned there's not much you can do about it.

Just take your time and strop often to make sure you keep a sharp edge.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
What Mesquite said .
My first spoon was out of seasoned pine which was nice to work with , I think I would have quit at the first one if it would have been a seasoned hardwood LOL

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've done most of mine from seasoned plumb, it's tough and your knife needs touching up regularly. The good thing about the tough wood is you will find it harder to accidentally shave off too much wooda and ablls the design up!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I've carved with both seasoned oak and cherry; green birch is way easier!

I think to answer the original question it's a case of have fun with the hard wood and the pint!

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Most of my spoon work is done with seasoned wood but I do use green wood when I am out or at the Moot.
As Mesquite as mentioned keep your knife sharpe. Take your time and learn patience as it will be tough on the hands.
Post a picture once your done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE