carving in public

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I don't disagree that there isn't anything wrong with carving in public. I don't disagree that there are plenty of people who are quite at home carving in public and have never been bothered by do-gooders and the police. But I would venture that they are not in high population areas with high violent crime figures and youth problems. I see police daily patrolling and stopping youngsters in my area. Often they are searching them and removing items from them. As much as I may well be within my rights to use a blade in public for a legitimate purpose, I don't need the hassle of explaining it to countless police officers these facts. So I use a bit of common sense and save such activities for when I'm in a more understanding area, such as the leafier areas around me.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
A slightly different issue with carving in public, what do you do about the wood shavings? I work for the charity Keep Britain Tidy and most councils would probably view you leaving a pile of wood shaving behind, especially in an urban area, as littering.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just seen some sort police chase reality programme on the TV where the police illegally seized a sheath knife and a machete from two Polish lads camping under a river bridge. The knives were being used to chop wood etc and therefore legal. So nice that they weren't charged but then if they had been and case thrown out they would have got their property back. Also ordered, within the hour, to move on although camping there was no crime. Pompous statement at the end of the piece that our laws on knives and camping are different which is true but the law was not shown just some sort of rough justice. And the Telly doesn't do it's job of accurate reporting!

Last edited:

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
But I would venture that they are not in high population areas with high violent crime figures and youth problems.
Fair comment! Here in South Devon it is a very safe place to live and knife crime isn't a big issue and everyone knows everyone. I wouldn't sit around carving in Bradford city centre (my home town) for example - even I'm not that daft. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE