Carving collaboration - stick it to em

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The idea:
Anyone interested signs up to a list, entrance fee is one 12 inch long stick of reasonable girth. Maximum number of participants 12

You carve something on the first inch (or more depending on number of participants) of the stick and send it on to the next person. This carries on until each person gets there original stick back.

Everyone ends up with something unique, akin to a totem pole.

Anyone interested?

1. Mountainm

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It'd be up to whoever has to post on to you I guess, how much does it cost to post a 12inch stick to the Netherlands these days?

Depends on the weight and wether it is too thick to fit through a mailbox. If it does, it's somewhere around 4,50 I think

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
That adds up to a lot given there's 11 sticks to post each, in fact may even be too much for the uk. Perhaps we should do 2 inches with 6 people?

Ah, I misunderstood the idea, thinking there would be only one stick to post. Never mind then, I'll pass. Have fun and I'll see the pictures:)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
What the heck, I'm in but can't carve for toffee. The only thing, and it may exclude me, post round my way is shocking. Already had one passaround go missing on its way to me. So anything coming my way would need posting so that it can be traced/signed for.

Crosslandkelly and I frequent the same meet, we could do an exchange there. Or even if 6 sticks were boxed together and sent round, it would be a single posting of about £2.20 for each person.

Please note these figures are off the top of my head from a rather dodgy memory.

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
I know that you want to keep the cost down so you chose 1 FT long stick, but may I suggest divvying up a 3, or better yet a 4 ft stick? Why? Here's my logic
1) if participants carve a section and pass it on then when they receive the piece with ONLY one section left to carve they could keep this one rather than the one they started. They will still have the same amount of art weather thy keep the one they start or finish but it is better to keep the one they finish,,, but why? Because they will have a stick that they finished giving them a sense of completion and if the stick was, say, 4 Ft they could use it as a measuring stick for tracking, or as a walking stick ETC. Also, by carving the last 5 inch section they could alter the height to suit them without worrying about messing up someone else's beautiful art work. AND it's one postage cheaper so you save £5.90
2) Yes, you'd have postage costs of 9 X say,,£5.90 (for a 10 person group) BUT, a) try getting a hand carved tracking pole for UNDER £53.10. Most I have found are £200 - £300 and b) postage of a 4 ft stick @1.5 kg with track and trace is only £5.90
3) I asked my girlfriends opinion and she said that it's better to have 4 inches to work with that one inch. (I hope she meant carving wise.)
Finally
4) 12 people at 4 inches each means that if it was used as a tracking stick people could see at a glance how long a FT was because 3 X (1 art) = 1 FT. 12 (art) X 4 inch = 48 inch = 4 FT

If you decide anything concrete (or rather,,,wood lol) I'll let you know if i'm in. It's hard to give a commitment to something that is so unsure,,,,,BUT this is a damn good concept. I'll keep an eye on your post my friend. (I'll say that I am 75% sure I'd be in.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE