carving challenge!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I finally got the chance to do something and if its not my work PC not working properly on photobucket or my phone running out of data and not connecting to wifi, its my son stopping me from using the laptop!

I do think I done quite well, If you cover the match you could almost think it was full size.

anyway, a little piece of cherry....

the best pictures I could do with my phone.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice miniatures fellas, un petite chic! :D

I thought about doing a small carving but decided to make a present for a friend and tried something I have never done before.......

DSC01295.JPG

Needs to be sanded and edge routed plus oiled yet but happy with todays efforts.

Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the Haida legendary belief about creation, it is dark in the beginning.
Everybody has to walk, including cunning and resourceful Raven.
Raven learns that "The-Old-Man-Who-Walks-Everywhere" has all the light in a hidden box.
By trickery, Raven discovers the location of the box and steals it.

I thought about this for a very long time. I realized that I could illustrate some parts of the belief.
Took quite a while to see these things in the wood. That's how and what I carve.

Picture #1, about 9" tall, western red cedar. The box is a 1" cube iron pyrite crystal as are Raven's glittering eyes.
Picture #2, Raven has replaced 6 stars (quartz inlay) in the night sky and the moon (bottom/abalone shell inlay).
Raven is squinting in the hot sunlight (Calcite cabochon), 20" x 24", beak 9", flames spreading out. The sun will go in the night sky
at the top. Mussel shell eyes.
Picture #3, With the sun back in the sky, it is light for the first time. Raven pauses to study its reflection in the water.

RavenRight_zps075267b5.jpg

WallRavenBest_zpsb583515b.jpg

RavenReflectingsmall_zps4a638503.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oh come on! There's a great body of carving talent here. That's what I came to see.
Everything from after-supper whittlings to gallery pieces. Time for Show-and-Tell.

I've had some years of practice while you all have been out and about and enjoyed some real bushcraft experiences.
I can just sit, carve and watch. The wood for the Raven carrying the sun? I bought that in 1972. I'm slow.

Show me (if nobody else) what you carve. Whittled sticks and all.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like the miniatures, don't have the vision to try that without my eyeballs falling out.
I have a god sense of the difficulty to do a kuksa/trekopp but no motivation to try, so I'll just admire your skills.
I used to do a lot of kitchen spoons & forks with an oven baked oil finish. After 70 spoons and 30 forks, I lost any enthusiasm that I might have had.
Anybody doing anything like dishes/bowls? I like to carve those.

Dish06_zps3bc0fe2b.jpg

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Update to the Sign I made, my friend loves it so it has now been oiled...

The%2520thatch%2520oiled.jpg

The letters are 60mm tall and the wood is european oak (which is apt as the cottage is oak framed too) :)

Rob.

P.S. Nice carved bowl Robson, all of the dishes and bowls I have made were turned but I did make a Kuksa over the xmas hols.:D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good sign = I really like the technical crispness of the carved letters. That's a "must" in any sign. Go big or go home, we say.
Does the carving get easier with large signs?

A dish like mine is about 10% of the wood. The block was western red cedar, 24" x 12" x 6", very old and dry almost brittle to carve. 18lbs on the scale (fresh is about 35-40 lbs.)
4" off each end because of the cracks, slab off the sides with a froe for mud and moss and the dish (copper inlays and all) weighed in at 1lb 12oz. About 16 pounds of waste!
Size is approx 16" x 6" wide x 5" deep, one piece. Flat bottom, straight walls and the feet are 3/8" proud of the underside.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Good sign = I really like the technical crispness of the carved letters. That's a "must" in any sign. Go big or go home, we say.
Does the carving get easier with large signs?

Thanks Robson, you do know I am gonna keep calling you Robson even if it ain't your given name don't you? :lmao:
I have no idea if the larger letters make it easier as it is my first attempt, but I suspect the crispness is to do with 30 odd years of working with wood and tools for a living, I already have a fair idea how to do the task and how the tool needs to be used it's marrying that to a design that complicates matters.:dunno:;)

Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The expression! Not the benign, sappy, smiling faces. This one has an expression of concern, of urgency, possibly of menace?
The beard is primo. Never seen one like that in many, many years. I have no desire to carve those.
BUT, this one is different.

I suppose if I fed that guy some soup, might take him a week to chew it all up? Carve him a mo-comb.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here are two spoons that I made today. Neither are very big, so they might fit the miniatures category

First is a mustard spoon, in walnut, commissioned by a guy in work who asked for a spoon in a dark wood about 3 inches long. This one is 3.5 inches. A hot oil soak in walnut oil to finish.
16677009480_11c7e0f50e_b.jpg

Second is a tiny eating spoon, in plum, for myself, just because. It is 3 inches long, and assymetrical to match my grip. It will be a 'spoon of last resort' when I have nothing else to use, but it will fit into any pocket. It has nice mouth-feel. Same finish as the previous spoon.
16245012333_9c934c1d84_b.jpg

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I like the light coloured plum one, reminds me of an ice cream spoon I used to get with little tubs from a local farm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE