Carving a Spoon (Novice)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hm, the sandpaper I have in the house only comes in 150s, 100s and 60s... Does it matter? As a beginner I only want a smooth spoon, not really worried about the technical details or anything.

Not in the slightest, start with the littlest numbers and work through to the biggest.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I usually start with 100 grid. Then 240, 400 and if i want it really smooth 600. The higher grids take less time though.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Not in the slightest, start with the littlest numbers and work through to the biggest.
It kind of sounds counter intuitive to me to start with the finest, which for me would be 60, then use a coarser 100. Surely it should be the other way around in that you take more material off at the start with a coarser grade and then finish it with a lighter grade, no?

You're probably right anyway.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It kind of sounds counter intuitive to me to start with the finest, which for me would be 60, then use a coarser 100. Surely it should be the other way around in that you take more material off at the start with a coarser grade and then finish it with a lighter grade, no?

You're probably right anyway.

The lower numbers are the coarsest

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
100 is the coarsest, and then the grid gets finer and finer. It is measured in how many grains of abrasive there are per square cm or something i think.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
huh, is BcUK behaving a bit odd today or is it just my pc? The editor doesn`t let me backspace and I couldn`t see Barn Owls posts till just now...

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Just to say how much I'm liking watching this thread unfold.

I did a lot of learning about spoon-making over about a month while working on set-up and tat-down of a festival. Not much to do in my spare time but make spoons. Ended up doing nearly twenty and the difference between the ones I did at the beginning of the month and those at the end was quite marked. I think you're doing well to just do what you can with with what skills you have and then move on and apply what you've learnt to a new spoon rather than spend a lot of time trying to correct mistakes.

on another note, I'd say 60grit is really quite coarse and using it might be a step backwards from what you can achieve with just your knife. Are you using your knife to scrape the wood smoother before sanding? I generally find this a quicker and more effective method than trying to rub down a coarse surface.

Cheers,
Leif

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
You use the coarsest untill you have the shape you want and removed all the bumps etc you want to get rid of. Then you use each subsequent grid until you have removed all the scratches from the last grid. As you proceed the finer grids take less time, usually. Good luck, and show the progress again! :)

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Just bought a wide range of paper and some walnut oil. Silly question, but how much time do you need to spend on each grade of sand paper?

The honest answer to that would be "the correct amount of time", but that's not really all that helpful. It's impossible for any of us to sit here and give you times for woodworking, factors that would influence the time spend would include: area of wood, hardness of wood, moisture content of the wood, moisture content of the air, strength of your arms, size of your hands, number of tea breaks, frequency/prettiness of passing girls etc. etc. If you could answer all those questions (and probably quite a few more) then one of our resident scientists would probably be able to give you a working answer, in all honesty though I would expect that a much quicker way to get an answer would be to have a glance at the clock and then just crack on with it. It's an art mate, not a science :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As Stu says plus also if you can still see the marks left by the first grit of paper you used after moving on then keep going.

Once they're all gone and you're on your final grade of paper quickly dunk the spoon in water, let it dry and run your finger over it. If the wood feels rough then back to the final grade of paper until it feels smooth again.

Keep doing the water process until it feels totally smooth after dunking then rub your chosen finish on to the spoon.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The honest answer to that would be "the correct amount of time", but that's not really all that helpful. It's impossible for any of us to sit here and give you times for woodworking, factors that would influence the time spend would include: area of wood, hardness of wood, moisture content of the wood, moisture content of the air, strength of your arms, size of your hands, number of tea breaks, frequency/prettiness of passing girls etc. etc. If you could answer all those questions (and probably quite a few more) then one of our resident scientists would probably be able to give you a working answer, in all honesty though I would expect that a much quicker way to get an answer would be to have a glance at the clock and then just crack on with it. It's an art mate, not a science :)
Point taken, friend. :lmao:

Cheers.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Finished sanding the spoon. Here it is.

QT1oIRi.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get walnut oil but I've got raw linseed oil. I'll try it soon.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Finished sanding the spoon. Here it is.

QT1oIRi.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get walnut oil but I've got raw linseed oil. I'll try it soon.

As Stu said "It's an art mate, not a science :)" and hey presto you've created a work of art! That looks terrific, I'm impressed.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Looking good there THOaken. One tip I picked up about final sanding is to let up on the pressure as you only want to remove the the rough that raised by the soaking, heavy sanding at this point will only make more rise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE