Making a spoon carving jig (Tutorial)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Following an excellent discussion regarding children and knives here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17759

I promised to do some drawings of the spoon carving jigs both I and my grandson Cameron use to make carving spoon bowls easier and safer.

I've drawn two types, one large permanent one and a small portable that can easily be carried in a backpack.

Here's Cameron using the big one:

cam4.jpg

You can see Cameron has both hands free to use the spoon knife to work the bowl.

Here's the drawing to make it clearer.

spoon-jig-1.jpg

You can use any type of wood for this. I happened to use half a log and some other green wood I'd recently felled, but if you don't have access to raw timber, you can certainly use a plank and a round fence post from B&Q. The legs can be made from anything strong enough to take your weight.

The principle of it works like this. You sit on the bench facing the upright log. You put your roughed out spoon under the leather strap and you stand on the pole which is attached to the strap. This pressure holds the spoon firmly in place so you have both hands free to carve out the bowl. In Cameron's case he's keeping his left hand well clear, but he also uses his thumb behind the knife to give greater purchase in his cuts.

The upright piece is attached to the base with a length of broom shank. I fitted mine while the upright log was still green, so it shrunk around the broomshank and held it tight. If you are using seasoned wood, you might need to glue or wedge it in place.

The other end of the broomshank piece goes through a hole in the bench. I have drilled a small hole in the shank and have fitted a small peg through it just so the top doesn't fall out when I transport it from show to show.

It's worth mentioning here about the holes that the leather goes through. When drilling these holes from the top out to the sides, try to go for an angle of about 45 deg. Also drill from the top out to the sides and not from the sides in to the top. You want the maximum amount of leather strap in contact with the spoon to give the greatest grip. So drill just inside of where you have carved the spoon blank shape out so the leather strap has to wrap itself round the handle rather than having them too far apart and the leather just rests on the top of the spoon handle.

Here's the portable version:

spoon-jig-2.jpg

This one is self explanitory in the making.

To use it, you sit somewhere comfey so your thigh is parallel to the ground. You put the jig over your thigh, close to your knee. Keeping your toes on the floor, raise your heel and place the cord under your heel. Place the spoon blank under the leather strap and lower your heel. You'll feel the strap tighten. If it doesn't, shorten the cord. If it's too tight and your heel is still raised, loosen it a bit.

I hope these are of some use. If they are, you can download the full size (A4) PDF files I've made from here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~e_methven/images/cam/spoon-jig-1.pdf
http://www.btinternet.com/~e_methven/images/cam/spoon-jig-2.pdf

Either right click and "Save file As" to a folder of your choice, or click directly on the link and the file will open Adobe Acrobat Reader within your web browser.

Enjoy,

Eric

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Eric

My missus has been loathe to let my young 'un loose with a knife to carve spoons etc, but you know, this might just persuade her.

Yer a top man ...............big rep going your way.
thanks for sharing

:You_Rock_

H

Heathenpeddler

Love the portable jig - seems to me it has so many possible applications. I'm definitely making one.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Eric, thanks for that idea. I was looking for an idea like this - not for children - but for me. I have it turns out got a pretty hard bit of wood I am trying to carve into a spoon. I was realising I was not going to win with just one hand on a knife and the other holding the spoon. I needed to lock down the spoon and take a hammer and chisel, or knife and baton to it.

I like the concept.

H

Heathenpeddler

Main reason I like it is I'm always using my knee as a rest when I'm working on something and this will help no end!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Heathenpeddler said:
Main reason I like it is I'm always using my knee as a rest when I'm working on something and this will help no end!

That's the main reason I developed this. I too have always used my knee to rest on, and have had some near misses in the past.

Another version I developed was to mount a pair of pliers on the block. The handles of the pliers were bent out at 90 deg and the cord was attached to the ends of the handles. When I pressed down with my heel, the jaws closed tight. A nice little portable vice! It was good for holding small items, and good for holding leather together for stitching. No screws or wingnuts to undo. Just lift your heel, adjust the workpiece and lower your heel again. Saves loads of time.

Eric

Nov 13, 2006
Herts
My eldest son is 10 and hasn't been let loose with a knife yet, well, only at our local celtic camp on a school holiday course. He made a sword (very basic) but he was very proud of it. I think it's great to get kids involved in carving, under strict supervision ofcourse.
:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE