Carving a Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Hello folks,

I am thinking of carving a kuksa out of some lime wood I have seasoned. Has anyone got pictures or ideas about shapes, I already have a Finnish Kuksa which I bought on a trip to Finland in winter 2005. I want the one I carve to be used rather than just an ornament.

I look forward to your responses.

Stewey. :D

Wookey

Mar 1, 2006
Penrith, Cumbria.
Hi Stu, welcome, just typed Kuksa into the search there are quite a few pics there. Never tried carving one myself but should have a go.
Post some pics when your done, be interested to see.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
This (pic) is one I made a few months ago from a piece of birch. I liked the idea and look of a traditional kuksa (more ladel shaped than cup shaped), but with a slightly more user friendly handle. Does make it difficult to put down on a flat surface without it rolling over and spilling its contents though!! Should have thought of that I guess.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Toots said:
This (pic) is one I made a few months ago from a piece of birch. I liked the idea and look of a traditional kuksa (more ladel shaped than cup shaped), but with a slightly more user friendly handle. Does make it difficult to put down on a flat surface without it rolling over and spilling its contents though!! Should have thought of that I guess.
thats a lovely kuksa you carved there, did you burn out the bowl with an ember or use a crook knife
leon

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Big Bad Stu said:
Hello folks,

I am thinking of carving a kuksa out of some lime wood I have seasoned. Has anyone got pictures or ideas about shapes, I already have a Finnish Kuksa which I bought on a trip to Finland in winter 2005. I want the one I carve to be used rather than just an ornament.

I look forward to your responses.

Stewey. :D

Here is the one I carved, wish I had used a different hadle shape though, more like the one above

clip_image002.jpg

Hope this helps

M

Millbilly

This is something ve been wanting to do lately, too. :)

Some lovely examples there guys, any tips for us?

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Just try it and see how it turns out. It's all a learning experience whatever happens.
If using a section of branch or trunk (rather than a burl) then try to get a bit of sufficient diameter to start with that you can avoid the heart wood, as it is more likely to split as the project dries. There are plenty of tips on here regarding treating the wood to minimise the likelihood of that happening.
Above all enjoy the process of coaxing a piece of art from a lump of wood, and don't rush. Oh, and keep a FAK handy just in case!! ;)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Don't go to thin on the bowl to start with!

You can always take some wood off afterwards! (You can't put it back on)

Oh and have Fun!

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Big bad stu, sorry nothing to add except good luck and make sure you show us the finished job.

Toots, have you thought about carving a cradle for it? like a coaster but with sides a sort of small, shallow bowl? admitadley(sp) its something else to carry but would stop it from rilling over

Mark

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Toots, that looks brill. Did you get inspiration from that bloke [ cant remember his name] at Broughton. He had a couple of lovely ones [ Kuksa's]
How did you carve the bowl out?
Ian.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
This is a kuksa I made in 1997. I still use it. It`s made of birch. No fancy ornamentation, just a plain user.
Used an axe and a saw for the first shaping. Then it was time for the knife and spoon knife. Sanded it and treated it with cooking oil (soy oil ?).

f14bd04f.jpg

Sorry. I didn`t have a better picture of it.

Tor

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Hi,

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the posts, I like the last one pictured, just a user, that is what I want.

The project is taking longer than I thought, the lime is very hard and is taking some carving even with a knife and axe like razors.

I will post my progress periodically.

As for now the kuksa is nearly fully blanked out.

Stewey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE