carved another woodspirit today

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Genuine question: why are woodspirits always angry/hostile looking? Why are there no happy woodspirits, or even jolly or solemn or mysterious woodspirits?

Is it just that those expressions are harder to carve, or is it something traditional, with a folklore background?

I'm really curious.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Genuine question: why are woodspirits always angry/hostile looking? Why are there no happy woodspirits, or even jolly or solemn or mysterious woodspirits?

Is it just that those expressions are harder to carve, or is it something traditional, with a folklore background?

I'm really curious.

well yes they were an angry entity according to folklore, they were meant to frighten people out of the woods they looked after. and they were hostile towards just about anyone that entered! unless you were pure of heart. well thats the folklore i picked up on, and rather than do the happy father christmas types, thought i would bring back a bit of tradition. :) any good?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
well yes they were an angry entity according to folklore, they were meant to frighten people out of the woods they looked after. and they were hostile towards just about anyone that entered! unless you were pure of heart. well thats the folklore i picked up on, and rather than do the happy father christmas types, thought i would bring back a bit of tradition. :) any good?

Thank you. I thought it must be something like that.

ha!, thanks but i dont think im any kind of diety! but i do enjoy bringing these fellas out. :)

Is a diety some sort of slimline deity then? ;)

(couldn't resist)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's your best yet chap - I love the "twist" with him "emerging" from the wood. Highly imaginative :)

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke

I'm really curious.

uploadfromtaptalk1375781972844.jpg this little fella isn't angry :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wow! This is beautiful!
But hos does this affect the tree? Just asking in lack of knowledge.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's a stunner! I love the half-hid, peering out ... pimped it all over my networks :D

Used to know a lovely chap who lived near Oban, was a wonderful carver, one of his specialties was root or driftwood carved mirror frames where the little fairies, faces and woodspirits were only visible when looking in the mirror as he'd carved them behind the face of the frame so as to only be seen in reflection. Hm this doesn't read well but I hope you know what I mean? They were beautiful though and had a "magical" air due to the reflection viewing.

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Wow! This is beautiful!
But hos does this affect the tree? Just asking in lack of knowledge.

hello Arya, not sure if your comment was aimed at me or Paddytray, but i will answer for my part. the cherry branch has already been cut down as part of a maintenance plan at North Wood where we meet. if the carvings i do were cut into a living tree, yes it would severely affect growth or even die, that is something i would not do. :)

Used to know a lovely chap who lived near Oban, was a wonderful carver, one of his specialties was root or driftwood carved mirror frames where the little fairies, faces and woodspirits were only visible when looking in the mirror as he'd carved them behind the face of the frame so as to only be seen in reflection. Hm this doesn't read well but I hope you know what I mean? They were beautiful though and had a "magical" air due to the reflection viewing.

wow! they sound wonderfull! what a smashing idea. does this chap still create these? or have a FB page / website? i would love to see them, thanks for posting. :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
wow! they sound wonderfull! what a smashing idea. does this chap still create these? or have a FB page / website? i would love to see them, thanks for posting. :)

Sorry Woodspirits his name escapes me at the moment and the only person who could jog my memory is an Ex from about 7 years ago who may not be thrilled to hear from me out of the blue about her then new boyfriend - they ended up going out with each other.

Will try to remember, the names in there, just hovering out of reach.

GB.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
ha! probably not the best plan eh? :D but very magnanimous of you to try and remember given the circumstances!

trying to imagine what you described, i assume there would be a gap between the glass and frame to allow reflection? hmm perhaps not, sorry to appear a bit dim. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE