carrying of bushcraft knives when out and about - Design Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
^^ There was a long running thread on BB started by a guy who posted that he'd been arrested and charged with possession of a 'pointed object' in the form of a corksrew.
After months of discussion & helpful suggestions it emerged he'd been riding a bicycle naked at the time.
When a police officer stopped him - "I told him it was none of his business and that I didn’t speak to the fuzz. "

There are many lessons here....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
^^ There was a long running thread on BB started by a guy who posted that he'd been arrested and charged with possession of a 'pointed object' in the form of a corksrew.
After months of discussion & helpful suggestions it emerged he'd been riding a bicycle naked at the time.
When a police officer stopped him - "I told him it was none of his business and that I didn’t speak to the fuzz. "

There are many lessons here....

So where did he have the corkscrew? :D

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Seem Abit silly walking down a street with arrows..surly I've I had a knife and axe on me then I would conceal them in my rucksack...however concealing acouple of arrows is going to be tricky and asking for trouble

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Local tree surgeon had a terrible fight with axe in his van not working and also local carpet fitter had carpet knife in glove box... cud argue pros n cons of both but seemed a bit keen to me.... I think they get told target knife carrying and off they go

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Technically the police are in the right in those cases. It's bizarre, but the interior of your car is a 'public place'. So even if you are a trades person, you can't just leave those sorts of tools in your car all the time.

A lot of this comes down to passing the attitude test. I had a colleague and friend who got done for possession of knives when he was working as a chef - on way home, knives in a roll. Police stopped him. He has tats, face piercings and a gobby mouth. If he'd been polite, I have no doubt he'd have got away with it. He ended up charged and fined. Silly sod wasn't doing anything wrong, but knowing him I'm sure he told the police to eff off. That was never going to end well.

Conversely I walked into a courthouse with a 4" locker in my bag and didn't get into trouble when they found it. Long haired scruffy hippy that I am, they took me outside, told me they'd never seen the knife.

It is really worth appreciating that the other person has a difficult job and starting by being polite to them.

sirysghost

Maker
Mar 14, 2016
lancs
Www.wildblades.co.uk
It's all so true.... I've never personally had an issue ... but in transit I know if I could stand up in court n say I did this that and the other to prevent quick access n use as weapon I reckon I'd be ok if I wasn't at a west ham match at the time 😊

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Don't use the word 'weapon'. Say 'to keep it safe and prevent accidental access or other people from grabbing it'.

I know what you mean but that word makes the law twitch.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Arrows? Often have them with me in the car, because some time I might drive up to our wood for a twang or haven't unloaded from our last have-a-go archery session or reenactment event or living history display. As to carrying them in public, perfectly legal to have a game of rovers, for example, in even a public green area unless prohibited by by laws. Sporting equipment not weapons.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Incidentally wasn't it prejudicial for headlines to say "Camper caught with arrows..."? Caught implies wrong doing whereas "found" does not. Same as the police saying that an item was "hidden"
in a drawer or glove compartment although it is perfectly normal to "keep" things in such places.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
As a community we are so good at speculation. I would love to see some solid case law for the things we are talking about.

In terms of complying with the law, though speedy access to your knife isn't written anywhere that I know of, keeping it in your pack as opposed to on your person does indicate you have no intention to use it with any immediacy. I do not see what benefit adding another device or mechanism to further slow your access to the knife would add.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Incidentally wasn't it prejudicial for headlines to say "Camper caught with arrows..."? Caught implies wrong doing whereas "found" does not. Same as the police saying that an item was "hidden"
in a drawer or glove compartment although it is perfectly normal to "keep" things in such places.

Found:

Officer: Anything in the glove box?
You: Yes, I have a knife I use for camping.
Officer: Lets see it.

Hidden:

Officer: Anything in the glove box?
You: Nope
Officer: Lets have a look then.
*opens glove box*
Officer: Ah-hah! You had a knife hidden in there.

I'm thinking found there vs. hidden there comes down to if you were using that place to hide it.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Simple yes but begs the question as to why. Reasonable excuse is simple and legal but if claimed to be "hidden" then the report on the incident is biased.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
A friend's mum is a magistrate. She proudly says that she'd never accept any excuse for carrying a knife.

So all it takes is a **** like her and you're in trouble regardless of the situation.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A friend's mum is a magistrate. She proudly says that she'd never accept any excuse for carrying a knife.

So all it takes is a **** like her and you're in trouble regardless of the situation.
There are morons in every job. Remember that magistrates do not need to be aware of the law. A good reason to hire a good lawyer if you end up in court on a charge of carrying a knife without reasonable cause.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

“Good morning Sir! I note what looks like a cased firearm on your rear seat. May I see your Licence?

Certainly Officer.

Thank you Sir! I note what looks like a large knife in one of the rifle case pockets. Is that correct Sir?

Yes Officer, I’m hoping to deploy it in the evisceration of one or more deer if I’m ever allowed to continue about my business!

You’re NICKED Sir as I know just the Magistrate to put you in front of!”

K

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you all for your thoughts... given me some things to consider.... I've heard some horror stories where common sense has not been deployed by law enforcement re knives

really? please tell us more...

Local tree surgeon had a terrible fight with axe in his van not working and also local carpet fitter had carpet knife in glove box... cud argue pros n cons of both but seemed a bit keen to me.... I think they get told target knife carrying and off they go

A gentle gardener I know was putting his shopping in the back of his van when a policeman saw his sickle. He also had a billhook and an axe, and a locking knife in his pocket. He was arrested and charged with possessing blades and pointed items in a public place.

Fortunately the judge threw it out of court, severely reprimanding the arresting officer and rest of the local force involved for wasting his time. But, my friend had to endure many weeks of worry prior to the case.

It's difficult considering your car is considered a public area, an extension of your rucksack I suppose. Be sensible, most police officers will be too. I've never worried about it too much. I'll go out on a long walk, or camping etc and return home via the supermarket or pub still with knife in pocket. But my pub of choice isn't a town centre Wetherspoons, I'd be much more on alert if it was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE