Carrying knives to the woods - knife license...inevitably rambling onto American gun stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Have you noticed the change of the thread title?
We split this thread off from the previous thread, having deleted a ton of stuff about US gun laws and shootings, and here you are again, talking about US death statistics and the assault rifles.
Sorry, my fault I think.
I was trying to make a few points about the fact that these laws are driven by the media interpretation of the truth and not by the actual truth. The problem being my good examples of this are US based.
Earlier in the thread there was some talk of mental health testing and licencing I thought it was interesting that 2/3 of the gun deaths in the US which are part of the figure used to say guns are bad and we need to ban them are actually suicides. Suicide being the number 1 cause of death of 45 and younger men it kind of an interesting thought to raise for psychological testing of people for licences.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh man. Do not say that too loud or the next thing you know they will be raising the age limit from 18 to 45!! :oops:
Ironically many states here have raised the age for long guns to 21 (it’s always been 21 for handguns) I say ironically because you can enlist at 17 or become a cop at ages as low as 18 in some states (19 for Florida)

Purely curious, what’s your voting age there?

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ironically many states here have raised the age for long guns to 21 (it’s always been 21 for handguns) I say ironically because you can enlist at 17 or become a cop at ages as low as 18 in some states (19 for Florida)
Always thought it was unfair that you could do those jobs however had to wait to 21 to drink.

Purely curious, what’s your voting age there?
18, we keep having conversations about lowering it to 16.

Reactions: santaman2000

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Although I agree -because these are polar examples , there will be a point of subjectivity won't there? I mean a Mora gets an automatic tick , a Woodlore clone - Tick

Rambo Crain saw toothed knife? Not everyone's cup of tea but no more dangerous than some Kitchen knives.

A Skrama?

A Beck WSK?

At what point do lines , styles and edge geometry , size become objective and not subjective.
Well obviously as a "bushcrafter" I would err on the side of allowing something meatier than a stanley knife, but I think I would do my best to ban the carrying of aesthetically objectionable knife like objects on the grounds of protecting the carrier from ridicule.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well obviously as a "bushcrafter" I would err on the side of allowing something meatier than a stanley knife, but I think I would do my best to ban the carrying of aesthetically objectionable knife like objects on the grounds of protecting the carrier from ridicule.

I see , very good of you. :)

So as a " Bushcrafter " - ( I will have to look up the dictionary definition of that ) would you advise someone to not carry something like this?

ws1.jpg

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
A mate of mine,goes back to his home in Glasgow,has a few drinks in his local and gets the pub drunk showing him various scars from fights,my mate noticed a nasty scar across his stomach and asked how he got it, the wife with a Kitchen Devil was the answer,so it doesn't have to be zombie knives or whatever.And we all got similar in the knife drawer.

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
I have a friend who was looking to get a shotgun licence for work and in a normal semi he could not practically satisfy the requirements.

As someone who lives in Birmingham and we have had 3 shootings in the last month I am not sure that they are keeping any crime down. Criminals by definition commit crime.

Actually that is the thing you should be afraid of, someone sees you and then calls the Police. The UK armed response Police have a very bad reputation for shooting first and then looking bad in the press.

I am not sure a licence is the answer, might not a membership with guidelines and more importantly legal cover be a better idea. I pay £12 quid to St John Ambulance so I am covered with legal insurance to use my First Aid at Work certificate on the public. I am not worried about breaking the law, I am worried about being faced with taking a caution or going to court so being able to hand a card over and go ring the number they will send a lawyer might be more useful.
Also politically activism along the line of getting multi-tools removed from the lock knife rule would be useful. A campaign for a sensible set of laws around this subject might also be useful.
everything i took to work were in a sealed case and in my truck which is legal to do

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
and I'm allowed to transport my equipment to and from A-B as long as they are in a case and not on display ? . I also shoot at two air rifle clubs and have a few pcp rifles i take every week which i am in my rights to do ( in normal circumstances not look down )
A case and display doesn’t actually change the law. It still needs a valid reason.
Unless you are aware of a law that says you’re exempt in a car?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You do know that in uk law, a vehicle classes as a public place?

You need to be clear about this law. The advice to me, when I needed to leave an item in a locked car, was a car is a public place as long as the public have legitimate access to it. Perversely, this is so if it is parked in public place but not if it is being driven on a public road or parked in a private car park.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've just told you my valid reason why are you arguing ???

Rich, don't take the questions too personally; I think all this discussion is showing is that it is easy to have differing opinions on this matter and the law may well take the opposing view. If you were stopped and taken to court, because by definition the items are classified as 'dangerous', it would be up to you to prove that you had good reason not the prosecutors to prove you were at fault.

Reactions: richos36 and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE