Carrying a laplander saw in public?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I was just packing up my rucksack to head off into the woods this morning (public access) to collect some wood to practice fire by friction. I was going to throw in my laplander saw as usual and suddenly wondered if I can carry it in my rucksack legally?

The blade is way over 3 inches and locks, does a saw therfore fall within the same rules as a fixed or locking knife and shouldnt be carried?

Interested on your views on this as this hasn't occured to me before now :confused:

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
i think legitimate reason is the crux of the issue- carrying a laplander round town is pointless, but in the country in a wood, no-one would give you a second glance.

same with the police, they would probably have an issue with some pikey walking round town with one, but would have no issue with someone carrying it in a backpack on the way to the woods. the other gear you are carrying/clothes you are wearing would show the police you were harmless.

chewie

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2005
England
Stickie ... nice to see another post where all was as it should be during a police stop.

My personal opinion is that a folding saw may not be a 'bladed or sharply pointed' instrument under s139CJA88 - it's a saw, not a knife or ice-pick, and it's potential for misuse as a weapon is lower. However, the reverse is also true - it may be construed as a bladed instrument, and a reason would be needed - I'm not aware of relevant caselaw so the chances are no-one has been charged under these circumstances to date.

In any case, it's much easier for a copper to be happy with a saw than with a knife or axe, IMHO. Might not please everyone, but that's the way it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE