carlins

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I quote from, http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/durhamdialect/heslop.htm

"carlins - 'choice grey-peas, of the preceding autumn, steeped in spring water for 12 to 15 hours, till they are soaked or macerated; then laid on a sieve, in the open air, that they may be externally dry. Thus swelled, and enlarged to a considrable size, and on the verge of vegetating, they are put in an iron pot, or other wise, on a slow fire, and kept stirring. They will then parch, crack and as we provincially call it, bristle: when they begin to burst, they are ready to eat.' Gent. Mag 1788 re N'd. Another method adopted is to fry the carlins with fat, and season highly with pepper and salt. [As well as grey peas] the large peas of a brownish yellow spotted colour, called 'brndlings'...are much fancied and in request for carlins."

Sounds like a protein rich munchy like roasted peanuts to me. Has anyone tried them ?

I was actually looking for a thraa hook for making grass rope :rolleyes: Isn't the internet fun? :D

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sounds a bit like a cross between mushy peas and pop corn. Mushy peas I don't regard as a food source (unless they are curry flavour), pop corn is great camp food however.

Got to disagree with the mushy peas as a food source comment, i reckon a pig would snaffle them up quick enough. As for a food source for human consumption, then I'm with you all the way!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I used to grow Carlins, we got some when HDRA first set uo their heritage seed program 15-20 years ago, I still have some seed but haven't grown them for a few years. Small very dark peas. A freind who grew up in a very working class area of Hull told me his dad used to sell carlins in the pubs a bit like I remember folk selling cockles. Can't remember how they were cooked though.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Apparently There's a guy called Ken Bentley in Driffield who still sells them - this is from his website:

Carlin Peas - also known as Maple Peas, Brown Peas, Pigeon Peas and even Black badgers and Grey Badgers -are an ancient pea or marl, recorded in the reign of Elizabeth 1.

They almost certainly originated in the gardens of the early Middle Ages monasteries, when peas and beans formed a huge part of the staple diet. They grow to about six feet high, and boast attractive purple and white blossom, and they crop prolifically. The peas, which can be used fresh, or dried for winter use, have a distinctive flavour, often described as a mediaeval mushy pea.
Carlin peas are better known in the north of England. In the Northeast traditionally children were given them to eat on Carlin Sunday, after a special church service, a little like Harvest Festival. In Nottingham the cooked peas were sold at the annual Goose Fair until the late fifties.

Here is a recipe for Carlin Peas.

Preparation Time is about three minutes, plus overnight soaking.
Cooking Time is around 25 minutes
This recipe serve Serves four people
INGREDIENTS
½lb (200g) carlin peas
Pinch of salt
1oz (25g) of beef dripping (or butter)
Some soft brown sugar (optional and not usually used in the North East)
A splash of rum (optional)

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Soak the carlin peas in cold water overnight. Drain and put them in a saucepan of boiling water with salt. Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until cooked but not overdone or mushy.

Melt the beef dripping (or butter) in a frying pan, drain the carlins and then add them to the pan and fry for two to three minutes.
Serve hot with salt and pepper. Or you can leave them to cool for a tasty nibble later. Alternatively, while still hot, you can add the brown sugar and a drop or rum.

They sound a bit like the popular Spanish snack Habas fritas (deep fried or roasted broad beans).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE