A quick Oak gall ink tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
There are many variations on Oak gall ink, heres one I have used that worked great last time.

Oak galls are growths found on some oak trees which are easily identifiable . Look for spheres attached directly to a twig, smooth and greenish brown when new and can be over a inch in diameter but you want them when the parasitic insect that caused them has gone and they have dried out and shrunk some, left long enough thet go the same colour as the bark of the tree and as small as peas. I've found the best ones are about the size of a thumb nail and still brown rather than grey, with the tell tale exit hole of the insect. These grind up easiest. To make a pint you want a ounce of them

inky01_zpsc2b29882.jpg

The finer you grind them the better, they say, but since I was in a hurry I gave up when they were like this. I've heard folk tell they use coffee bean grinders but I dont have one and to be honest I've had no problems with them ground up in a mortar and pestle.

inky02_zpsab75b4d1.jpg

Since you will be boiling them up use a container that is at least twice as big as you need as this saves it boiling over so easily; something easy to pour with a lid is best. Add a pint of rain water to the grindings and boil for a full hour. If it hasn't rained since you decided to make it, distilled water works fine. Some recipes refer to adding red wine or vinegar but I've never tried that.

inky03_zps5b309709.jpg

The smell isn't bad and the process doesn't stain the steel pan I use.

Once its had a good boil you need to strain it to remove the grindings. I've acquired a cheap camp coffee filter that works very well.

inky04_zps353c8581.jpg

Before I got that a sheet of kitchen paper in the bottom of a sieve worked OK. You could use muslin or a colour fast rag, even a very fine mesh sieve.

Some recipes refer to letting the liquor stand in a iron pot, ideally rusty, for a extended period but I use half a ounce of Green Copperas (iron sulfate) well stirred in at this point. You can get it from eBay or any shop that deals in dyes as it is used as a mordant.

inky05_zps26632995.jpg

Just noticed I over egged the pudding there, .6oz, never mind it won't make much of a difference. This stuff will react with the acid in the Oak galls , as you stir it in you'll see the brown liquor turn black. At this stage the liquid will be very thin and not very dark or ink like. To thicken it add a quarter ounce, or a little more, of Gum Arabic. You can get it in art shops but it is used in the food industry and is cheapest off eBay if you don't have a wholesaler to hand. Stir this in a bit at a time as if you were making a white sauce and don't want lumps.

inky06_zpsdbabf175.jpg

Once that's all mixed in (again use a large container as it easy easier to stir stuff in without splashing, I use a two pint jug) you now leave it to stand for 48 hours, stiring it occasionally. To encourage this I leave it in a safe but commonly passed place and get any family member going by to give it a quick stir.

inky07_zps35ce3671.jpg

And that's as far as I've got today. In two days, I will strain it again into a bottle that can be tightly sealed (I have a weakness for stoneware made in my old home town, I rarely pay more than a quid for them on carboots and since I avoid dropping them find them superior to tins which rust and plastics which often degrade in sunlight or split, but I digress). The ink can be used straight away but I've found its better after a few months. If its too runny for your taste add small amounts of gum arabic leaving it a day or so before trying it again.

I'll now have a suplus of the stuff if any one wants some. I'll be trying the same recipe with logwood added at the first stage to see if that improves it.

One word of warning, this stuff doesn't like iron or steel nibs being mildly acidic so is best used with reed or quill pens. It was used from early medieval times up to the 19th C when modern comercial inks took over along with metal nibs. Sometimes the dried ink has a brownish hue, sometimes it is jet black. It will, over several centuries sometimes eat through the parchment or vellum such is the nature.

There's plenty more on the net if you are interested.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome tom - thank you so much - I might try the rusty iron think rather than the sulphate since its nice to be self sufficient - perhaps pine resin instead of gum Arabic?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Not heard of pine resin used and not tried it myself... Some recipes say that some rusty wire wool works best of all. I'm tempted to stick a old metal working file that the middle son dug up in the garden into the current brew but the copperas has worked fine in the past. Historically copperas was mined in Humberside as well as down south, Not too far from Lincolnshire if you fancy some spade drill....

http://www.archaeologyuk.org/ba/ba66/feat2.shtml

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheers! Not heard of pine resin used and not tried it myself... Some recipes say that some rusty wire wool works best of all. I'm tempted to stick a old metal working file that the middle son dug up in the garden into the current brew but the copperas has worked fine in the past. Historically copperas was mined in Humberside as well as down south, Not too far from Lincolnshire if you fancy some spade drill....

http://www.archaeologyuk.org/ba/ba66/feat2.shtml

ATB

Tom

Fascinating stuff :)

I suspect there were many recipes making use of local materials...some working better than others! I do like to use stuff that is "locally appropriate" - although I do understand that people traded and bought exotic materials from all over the place.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy report there Tom :D :approve: Thank you.

If you rust down some iron in vinegar that'll give you the iron component; wire wool works very well, well used and no longer soapy brillo pads for instance, and you can do it very well in sour red wine.
Pine resin's inclined to stay sticky and it doesn't dissolve very well compared to the gum arabic. You can thicken ink that's going to be used quickly by breaking open linseeds and boiling them up with the oak galls ....but you need to strain it while it's still hot otherwise it's a mess and a half :rolleyes: :eek:....could use plantain or dockens too I suppose. Thing is though, all three of those are carb rich and they'll go off if you don't get the preservation spot on.

I found the big sweetie jar of oakgalls, but I haven't found the logwood yet Tom; it's been a miserable wet day here.

atb,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Very interesting stuff, cheers, I will have to scrounge the dregs of the red wine when we visit the inlaws as we don't touch it. No worries on the logwood, thanks for looking!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Two days having passed I filtered the ink into its storage bottle.

inky08_zps26d7da9a.jpg

It took quite a while and I had to encourage the passage by running a spoon round the inside of the filter and in the end squeeze the last liquid through. I've now sealled and labelled it and will leave it for a couple of months before trying it out.

Cheers!

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE