Old fashioned cereals, again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well I got that wrong, I heard back from Alan and the Bread Wheat is Red Lammas although there must have been some cross pollination as those single spikelets came from somewhere. Anyhoo they are planted now so ill just relable the pot and see how they do. It was around in the 1650s, I can't find out when it was first grown so far

so still looking for emmer and einkorn seed....

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just posted off a form to SASA which will get me some ancient islands small oats seed and some Hebridean rye. depending on the number of seeds I'll plant them indoors or out to increase the numbers for next year.

Atb

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
On North Rona they grew barley and oats but the climate was horrible; also very windy and salty.

I noted, however that the soil was rich and also always damp; the plants that could stand such dire climes seemed to do very well.

I often wonder what cerials they used.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The oats are from three sites to increase the likelihood that some will thrive here, South Uist, Lewis and Benbecula.

The spelt and Red Lammas are shooting up, what I thin out ill try planting outside to see if that will halt their growth until the spring, perhaps with some straw packed round to keep the worst of the frost off.

The small oats, rye and the pound of bere will be planted in the spring.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! Do you get much frost down there? If so are there any tricks to get the sprouts through the winter?

Frost and snow can be a bit of a bugger up here in the Pennines, even at the relative low level we are.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It gets down around -10 to -15 most Winters. The trick is for you to stay in the warm with coffee and leave the wheat to fend for itself :)

Its grass. Its frost hardy :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The small oats ( 250 ) and Hebridean rye (190) have arrived and both are for spring planting so I can sort out the beds when I'm doing them for the bere barley. Assuming they grow and ain't eaten by birds etc that should give enough for a Decent sized planting the year after

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, I'm hoping that I can fudge a date from the average weather for each given week up there in the islands in relation to it here and when they plant it there.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its just not date driven really Tom - its all about the friability and moisture content of the soil. You don't want it too cold and wet as the seed rots in the ground. But if you leave it too long, it cannot ripen.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE